RRT - the Reeds (Re)Trainer

Anything with a propeller
Wayne_H

RRT - the Reeds (Re)Trainer

Post by Wayne_H »

Having completed my first Reed transmitter [viewtopic.php?f=26&t=276], that created a very real need for a suitable aeroplane to put it in! While I do have one or two models that I could have converted, they are in storage 250km away. :cry: What to do?

I routinely check out the 'bargain bin' and clearance items in the HK Australian warehouse. One of my past purchases was a replacement fuselage for the HK Club Trainer 1265mm. This is what the "real" Club Trainer looks like:
The HK Club Trainer - pic from the HK website
The HK Club Trainer - pic from the HK website
The fuselage is a moulded foam bottom 1/2 that forms the structural backbone - it includes the firewall, wing saddle & servo mounts, battery bay & mount for the tail feathers. The top is a moulded plastic cover that glues into a rebate on the bottom piece, then has the wing dowels pass through both to tie it all together. For only a few dollars, I got the fuse, push-rods, motor mount, cowling, etc., but no undercarriage. Looking at it, I couldn't see any reason why it couldn't be the genesis of my reeds (re)trainer, especially since I have 'in stock' all the other items I will need to complete it.

I've now started on it, and this is the progress so far:
the original plastic motor mount (pic off the HK website), which doesn't fit the motor I have, so a new mount is needed. Its also a bit light for my liking.
the original plastic motor mount (pic off the HK website), which doesn't fit the motor I have, so a new mount is needed. Its also a bit light for my liking.
this is the new timber motor mount I have constructed.
this is the new timber motor mount I have constructed.
slightly longer, much stronger & reproduces the 3 deg. down thrust of the original.
slightly longer, much stronger & reproduces the 3 deg. down thrust of the original.
Another $1 bargain bin purchase, the nose wheel assembly from the HK Mule - utilised since the fuselage didn't come with any undercarriage components.
Another $1 bargain bin purchase, the nose wheel assembly from the HK Mule - utilised since the fuselage didn't come with any undercarriage components.
I was surprised to discover a lump of steel embedded in the fuse behind the firewall - obviously to correct an inherent tail heavy condition with the original design. Since I was using a larger (& stronger) motor, I removed the steel slug:
the slug of steel removed from the nose.
the slug of steel removed from the nose.
moulded front of the foam fuselage.
moulded front of the foam fuselage.
I've made up new tail feathers approximating the outline of the original, based on pictures on the HK website. After sanding, they'll be covered & decorated with plastic film and/or coloured trim tape.
The tailplane & fin are both made of 5mm foam sheet with balsa edging. The Tailplane LE is 5mm bamboo.
The tailplane & fin are both made of 5mm foam sheet with balsa edging. The Tailplane LE is 5mm bamboo.
The original design utilised a plastic motor mount with down thrust moulded into it, sitting against a plastic firewall with side thrust moulded into that, which then sandwiches the foam fuse between another plastic fitting as an anchor plate, the whole lot is then clamped together with 6 long screws.
firewall with side thrust. Original nose wheel mount is at the bottom.
firewall with side thrust. Original nose wheel mount is at the bottom.
plastic firewall anchor plate.jpg
Unfortunately, this setup is subject to deformation, particularly of the anchor plate. I'm also suspicious of its ability to withstand a heavy landing.
you can see how the anchor plate has deformed when the screws were tightened.
you can see how the anchor plate has deformed when the screws were tightened.
I intend to replace all the plastic bits with a stronger purpose designed timber arrangement that will distribute the load to the fuse sides as well as the nose.

More as construction progresses............
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Wayne_H

Re: RRT - the Reeds (Re)Trainer

Post by Wayne_H »

A little more progress - Tail feathers sanded & finished with coloured & clear tape.
Fin & top of tail-plane. The unfinished bits at the base of the fin are hidden by the ABS upper fuselage moulding.
Fin & top of tail-plane. The unfinished bits at the base of the fin are hidden by the ABS upper fuselage moulding.
Alternate high contrast scheme on the underside of tail-plane. I've used this scheme for years on my F5B gliders & it works a treat! The underside of the wing will have similar.
Alternate high contrast scheme on the underside of tail-plane. I've used this scheme for years on my F5B gliders & it works a treat! The underside of the wing will have similar.
Rudder & elevator servos. Wire push-rod (as per original HK detail) for elevator & bamboo push-rod for rudder
Rudder & elevator servos. Wire push-rod (as per original HK detail) for elevator & bamboo push-rod for rudder
Before you comment, yes there is a bit of 'circus tent' about the colour scheme :oops: . Hey what can I say, I'm a happy guy :lol:. The intention is to be able to see it & I think I've achieved that 8-)
Cheers,

Wayne
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Still making progress slowly:
+ Top of plastic fuselage painted to match cowl
+ rudder & elevator hinged to tail feathers. All now ready for mounting to fuse.
+ wing designed & rib templates made
+ plastic undercarriage mount replaced with ply version
+ new timber firewall made up & epoxied in including locating spacers for the timber motor mount, & internal ply reinforcement added for cowl mounting screws. Looks a bit 'agricultural' (using left-overs from the ply scrap box) but it all fits together very nicely 8-)
old plastic firewall and foam removed & replaced with a new ply firewall
old plastic firewall and foam removed & replaced with a new ply firewall
+ additional ply reinforcement added behind the firewall (over where the steel slug nose ballast was mounted) to distribute the load
additional reinforcement added to rear of the new ply firewall
additional reinforcement added to rear of the new ply firewall
+ radio install cleaned up
there weren't any holes for the servo leads, so I punched a few in!
there weren't any holes for the servo leads, so I punched a few in!
We are now packing for our move next week, so not much likely to happen for a few weeks :(
Cheers,

Wayne
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Hey, a half old school foamie.
Cheers,

Dave