Ponty prize model - "Scooter"

Anything with a propeller
Martin

Ponty prize model - "Scooter"

Post by Martin »

I was very lucky to win this fabulous prize at the 2018 Ponty event. Pete Christy was responsible for presenting this beautiful model and chose one lucky flyer - me - from the ranks of flyers in the Pulstar mass launch event. :D

The model was "new in box" and complete with engine, radio control, even things like the wing bands! All that's needed to get it in the air using the supplied transmitter are a few AA batteries, some glue, fuel and a glow plug battery - and I already have all those things to hand.

Here's the model box and its contents laid out for inspection. (Click image for a bigger view).

prize_small.jpg

My plan is not to risk flying it with the included 27 MHz radio system - even though that would almost certainly be fine. I shall initially just swap the receiver for a FrSky one, and fly it first with a modern proportional transmitter and then with my Reedy Ten reeds set. Later I will convert the supplied ACE RC Commander 3S 'cuddle box' transmitter using a FrSky conversion, so I can also fly it with that - I've never flown a cuddle box before. I'll keep the 27MHz receiver intact and do the transmitter 2.4 GHz conversion in a sensitive way - so that it could be switched back to 27 MHz operation in the future, if required.

I'll post photos and hopefully video in this thread showing the model's progress. As you can see from the photo, there's hardly any assembly work to do, so even though I'm working on a few other projects I should be able to get it built and flown within the next few days.

Many thanks to Pete, and to all the PANDA guys and everyone involved in putting on the event: their generous work made my winning of this prize - and this resulting thread - a possibility. :D
Pchristy

Re: Ponty prize model - "Scooter"

Post by Pchristy »

I look forward to seeing your conversion, Martin!

Just to clarify, although I brought the prize up and presented it, it was actually donated by Gill Godfrey, widow of the late Ben Godfrey of Bekra RC and Bekra fuels fame. Ben was always very supportive of young upcoming modelers, and gave my son a considerable amount of support when he started flying helicopters competitively (and before!).

Ben did a lot of work with the Yamaha motorbike racing team, and there wasn't much he didn't know about high performance 2-strokes. Although Bekra fuel is usually sold as a heli mix, it works fine in aircraft - even 4-strokes! The ASP30 4-stroke in my Jackdaw at Ponty was running on a 5% Bekra mix, and the Coxs in my s/c models were running on 16% Bekra fuel.

Ben would have been delighted to see this model go where it will be appreciated, and thanks to Gill for going along with my suggestion to offer it as a prize. I can't think of a more suitable event at which to offer it!

Cheers,

--
Pete
Martin

Post by Martin »

I assembled the model yesterday and flew her today.

click photo and click again for bigger view
scooter.jpg
Isn't she pretty? :D

Took me ages to get the engine to run - very tight 'ABC-ness' at top dead centre. I didn't take an electric starter with me and wouldn't want to use a regular-sized starter on a small engine like the Scooter's anyway - but after about an hour of fruitless prop flicking I was giving up hope. Then I finally managed to get her running. After four flights with gradually reducing richness and throttle variation the motor is beginning to loosen up nicely.

I have some video shot on a hand-held cheap camera with no viewfinder. I'll have a go at editing that now, and assuming there is any footage that actually has the model in view :? I'll post that later.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Here's the video. As expected it's a bit shaky and out of focus, but it proves that the plane flew! I edited away the worst of Fred's camera work, so what remains are the best bits! You can enjoy snippets of the wonderfully professional conversation between camera man and pilot. :lol: No video of the landing, but the plane is a delight to land, floating down to beautiful three-pointers every time.

RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Nice job Martin
Looks a real floater, perfect for those lovely wind less summer nights that I think we’re getting next week ;)

Motor sounds nice.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Excellent, Martin! It looks really great in the air, and it also looks as if you were really enjoying flying it!

Well done!

:D

--
Pete
Martin

Post by Martin »

Thanks for the offer Phil, but I think I can modify mine in a way that doesn't damage it, and maybe will still allow 27 MHz operation, if required, by flicking an internal switch.