Frog Witch

Anything with a propeller
Sundancer

Frog Witch

Post by Sundancer »

I built this Frog Witch in 2012, 50 watt electric RET controls, at just under 6 ounces it proved to be a really nice performer although naturally at that weight it prefers light winds. Originally with 35 MHz equipment, it was changed over to 2.4 gig a couple of years later with an Orange Rx.

I then converted a MacGregor S/C Tx using Phil.G's encoder and a FRSky module and tried this first with the Witch, it flew fine but my "own" field is very tight with A LOT of big trees around it and as a result I didn't fly it much with the single button Tx until this year when I acquired use of a super site, much more wide open with a proper runway no less. So I re-bound the Witch to the MacGregor Tx and took to flying it there in the calm evenings. This bemused my French friends whose experience of radio control all dates from long after the introduction of proportional control, they are incredulous and have christened it "Voler par le code morse" - flying by Morse code, which I suppose is not a bad description. If you fancy a lightweight single channel model I can recommend the Witch, I use the compound setting with three position throttle and kick up elevator and find that a mid throttle setting of 60% is perfect for normal flying. I even get the timing of the kick up elevator right for a flared landing - occasionally!!
W4.jpg
W3.jpg
W2.jpg
W1.jpg
Vin1.jpg
Vin2.jpg
Vin6.jpg
Flying the Witch has enthused me enough to build a "proper" single channel model, a re-creation of an own design from the early 1960's, albeit electric this time around instead of the TD049, and this is under way.
BTW, notice how the black tissue has faded over the last six years - the first four photos are from 2012, the last three from a couple of weeks ago. And the fact that a similar process seems to have hppened to my hair colour!
Last edited by Sundancer on 24 Jun 2018, 20:01, edited 2 times in total.
Wayne_H

Re: Frog Witch

Post by Wayne_H »

Very nice! ;)

I have a KK Ajax earmarked for a similar conversion.

BTW - I suspect your shirt may have faded too :P :roll: (just kidding...)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Nah Wayne, it was always pink! Actually I don't mind the faded tissue, I just tell everyone that in the antiques trade it is called "patina" and denotes authenticity. Wish I could say the same about the hair though.
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

The answer for both tissue and hair change of colour is obviously "sun bleaching"?
What else could possibly explain it???

Regards

Gordon
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Very nice.

Al