Was it worth it

Anything with a propeller
Shaun

Was it worth it

Post by Shaun »

Got hold of the 50 year old Mercury Magna few years ago and decided to refurbish it. I'm sure I could have built a new one quicker but happy with the end result. Decided to use a brand new Frog 80 for power, and rudder only to steer it.
IMAG0276.jpg
Magna 3.jpg
Magna.jpg
PaulJ

Re: Was it worth it

Post by PaulJ »

Shaun, ir definitely was worth it and now you have to bring it to the "Mayfly" at Old Warden on 12th/13th May. There are three Old Warden model events each year and at each one there is a very informal spot landing comp for rudder only models. Each event has a theme and the May event is for Mercury Magnas...... I built one specially for it last year.
IMG_0022.JPG
I know it is a long way for all you Northerners but it is a two day event and you can stay overnight or if you can only do one day, the Magna spot landing comp will be on the Sunday. It is always a great day out with lots of freeflight as well.
FlyinBrian

Post by FlyinBrian »

Shaun, that looks quite stunning.

I builr one of these in the '60s, it was FF with a Mills .75 for power.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Thanks, FB,

I basically had to go over every joint with either penetrating aliphatic or thin cyano as the old balsa cement had given up the ghost. Every time I removed some tissue,more wood fell off.

Shaun.