Chicken, or egg. A Brushless motor conundrum.

Anything with a propeller
NeilMac

Chicken, or egg. A Brushless motor conundrum.

Post by NeilMac »

I have now finished my two 2.4ghz conversions; The Digimac 2.4 is due to take up residence in a Precedent Hi-Fly and the Waltron Mini 2.4 was set to find a home in a Vic Smeed Poppet, with, so I thought a motor / Esc setup that I bought to suit a Flight Test Simple Sloper, but which is now not needed as I am going to keep that model as a glider only.

So, do I build a Poppet and buy a much less powerful motor set up, or, do I use the 24g, 1300kv 88W setup in a bigger model?

One thing to note, this will be my first single channel powered model in about 45 years, so any model needs to pretty much fly itself, with occasional meddling from me.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Shaun

Re: Chicken, or egg. A Brushless motor conundrum.

Post by Shaun »

Use the motor you have for the Poppet and prop it to suit the required power. No problem under propping the motor to get less. Alternatively use a 2S pack instead of a 3S. It's hard not to think in ic terms re power when going electric. Electric motors can be much more flexible for a given size.

Cheers,

Shaun.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I wouldn't disagree with Shaun and I'm a great fan of the Poppet........ I've had four so far and a fifth is planned. However the Poppet is quite a small model so I would simply say be very careful about weight and not making it too heavy. It might be safer to go for a slightly bigger model, perhaps a Tomboy or similar?

Paul
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

That's all useful stuff, thanks.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Shaun is absolutely right, one of the great advantages of electric power is the ease of tuning the output by varying prop size and battery input. I have no doubt you could prop down your existing motor to be OK for the Poppet, and it may well be that the extra weight in the nose might be needed anyway. However, I would personally want to use something more akin to a 1811 50 watt set-up for the Poppet, propped to run at around 40 watts, I think this would be a more pleasant combination especially for a rudder/throttle model where excess power can get one into trouble. I don't have a Poppet but do have several models in the same size/weight range - Frog Zephyr, Frog Witch, Plecan Humming Bird etc and these fly very well with the smaller motor.
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Cool!

So, consensus so far is, stick with the Poppet.