Patient Zero - How it all began

Anything with a propeller
Shaun

Patient Zero - How it all began

Post by Shaun »

8 years ago at our monthly model club meeting Phil and I were chatting. "Wouldn't it be great if we could fly reliable single channel again on 2.4g" I said - "Like this" Phil replied producing a small piece of veroboard with a few components on, 2.4g RF module, Rx and 3 servos. After demonstrating it he asked " want one?" No prizes for guessing my reply.

Back home I quickly converted an old RCS single channel Tx using a Corona hack module and started practicing the old button pressing. Like riding a bike the old button mastery hadn't gone and I was reliably hitting the marks in a few mins.

Phil was cleverer than I had realised as he persuaded me to use my prized Veron Mini Concord (Phil Smith (Veron) and I had built this for a cover feature in RCM&E in the 1980's. Good job I trusted him eh!

At the field, I lobbed it into the wild blue yonder and off it went - I was that 10 year old kid again and after a few missed button presses started enjoying flying single channel again.... even landing in the same field I launched in. The only damage was the 25 year old nose leg stitching giving up the ghost when it contacted terra firma again. Patient Zero had flown and survived.

Shaun
Mini Concord 1.JPG
You can see the fuel tank fillers from its pre electric era and new Balsa engine!
Mini Concord 3.JPG
Mini Concord 4.JPG
My first 2.4g transmitter
Mini Concord 5.JPG
Last edited by Shaun on 18 Feb 2018, 19:39, edited 2 times in total.
PaulJ

Re: Patient Zero - How it all began

Post by PaulJ »

'Lovely bit of nostalgia..... Thanks Shaun ;)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

And here it is with the first kit built Veron Concord - Phil (Smith) always did this on new releases to check everything went together correctly. It may make an appearance at Ponte this year if Ali (from Al's hobbies) can turn up again with his. He owns the actual prototype so it would make a great tribute flight. Also we are planning to do the same with our Veron Cherokee's. Nothing like nostalgia is there.

Concord and Mini Concord
DSCF5122.JPG
Veron Cherokee C180
DSCF4909.JPG
Shaun
Sunbird

Post by Sunbird »

Thanks Shaun for reminding me of my youth :D
I built the Mini Concord in 1968 and flew it with reasonable success using an OS Pixie. Cant recall what engine It had up front. :roll:

Do you perhaps know where I could find a plan for either the Mini Concord or the Concord?

Ian
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Shaun, are any of the models you have mentioned the model Phil Smith demonstrated to the Shah of Persia? :?:

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Paul,

No, mine was not the prototype which he flew there, it was the first one built from the production kits - Phil told me he used to do this to check all his hard work had been interpreted correctly. I had suggested to the editor at the time of RCM&E that Phil could do a piece on the planes and recreate a photo taken back in the 1960's so to wind up kit collectors Phil & I built the mini concord from a kit I bought in Dublin on a visit there. He too could never understand why people were in his words prepared to pay obscene sums of money for a cardboard box and a fed bits of wood.

I did a piece in my column in RCM&E last year on the Shar.

Cheers,

Shaun
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Sunbird wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 08:57 Thanks Shaun for reminding me of my youth :D
I built the Mini Concord in 1968 and flew it with reasonable success using an OS Pixie. Cant recall what engine It had up front. :roll:

Do you perhaps know where I could find a plan for either the Mini Concord or the Concord?

Ian

Hi Ian,
Try Colin Smith ( Phil Smiths son) who still sells the plans I believe; email him for details on:- csmithbmth@gmail.com or call 07747 722724.
Also contact Neil at iGull - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iGull-Laser?_t ... 7675.l2563 - he may do the ribs / part kit.

Cheers,

Shaun
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

You could go to Belair Kit Cutters for a part kit, you'll still need the plan from Collin. Belair work from the original plans so everything should fit.
http://www.belairkits.com/detail.asp?id=1112
Sunbird

Post by Sunbird »

Thanks to all for the links.
Much Appreciated
Ian