The new one.......

Anything with a propeller
PaulJ

The new one.......

Post by PaulJ »

They've changed the rules for the spot-landing competition at Old Warden so whereas it used to be that for the May event the comp was for Mercury Magnas (only), now they have widened it to ANY kitted model. Wanting to build something a little "different", I went for the "Ricktica" which was kitted by Peerless Models in (I think) the early 80s......
IMG_20191223_144803.jpg
"Power" (if you can call it that) is a CS Mills .5cc and the radio (Rudder only) is my recently converted Skyleader Clubmate with Orange R410x receiver, a 1S lipo and a Turnigy D56LV servo in the model.
IMG_20191223_190915.jpg
Now waiting for suitable weather......

Paul
jackdaw

Re: The new one.......

Post by jackdaw »

Paul,
Just an observation. The Rx is only specified down to 3.7v. Have you used it before with a single lipo without issues?? The Micro 4 and the Lemon Rx are spec'ed down to a lower supply voltage and may prove more reliable on the single lipo http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_spektrum.html
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Jackdaw, 'good thought but I've been using this setup for four years now and so far, I haven't had a problem. I mostly use 700mAh drone batteries which are small and light and way over the capacity I need. Fully charged they read about 4.1v - 4.2v. and still read around 4.0v at the end of a flying session. I have about half a dozen of the Orange receivers and few Spectrum AR400 receivers and so far none of them has let me down. And perhaps here would be a good point to put in a plug for the little Turnigy D56LV (Low voltage) servos. They are very small, have metal gears and are fast and powerful...... a great little servo and they too have given 100% reliability.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-t ... -5-6g.html
(though sadly they are currently out of stock) :roll:

Paul
Sunbird

Post by Sunbird »

Hello Paul
Do you have perhaps a PDF or DXF copy of the plan for the Ricktica. Cute looking little number! I could not find it on Outerzone or Aerofred.

Regards
Ian
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ian, I have the kit but I sctratch built the model in order to keep the kit intact. I do have a pdf of the plan but because it was a kit with diecut parts, the fuselage formers and some other bits were not on the plan. I photo-copied the diecut sheets of balsa, cut out the various parts and used those as templates.... Hopefully these will be all you need.......
Ricktica.pdf
(2.89 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
IMG_20191228_0001.pdf
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
IMG_20191228_0002_NEW.pdf
(670.46 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
The mild weather of the last couple of days has allowed some test flights. I think it is fairly accurately built and the CG is in the right place but FWIW it needs 3/16" (5mm) of packing under the trailing edge of the tailplane.
DSCN0095[1].JPG
In the calm conditions it was a delight to fly on rudder only and I achieved three landing on it wheels! However the little CS Mills is very marginal power and I felt I was "milking it" much of the time. If there was any wind I think it would need more power and I am thinking about changing the engine for either a DC Dart or a Redfin.030.

Paul
Sunbird

Post by Sunbird »

Hello Paul
Thanks again for your help with the plan and part images for this little plane. I'm currently in the process of moving house but once my new workshop is setup and I can remember where Ive put everything ill give the Ricktika a go.

Ian
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

So Ian, I take it that the Ricktika is your birthday present to self, the new house just being a place for the workshop :P 8-) ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)