Flea

Anything with a propeller
Stew

Re: Flea

Post by Stew »

That was a very stable flier David, in the windy conditions. Very nice indeed.

I've tried avoiding the flea, but it keeps coming back like an itch I just need to scratch!
I am looking to build a couple, a larger one for biger fields 60"+ or thereabouts, and a smaller version, sub 40"

Stew
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

This is Ian Redshaw's 1/2 scale flea; flies a treat. Has a Zenoah 62 petrol up front and a huge chunk of lead. Genuine colour scheme.

Have a look at it in flight here https://youtu.be/RVd_ekrUFoQ along with Tony's.

Shaun
flea red.jpg
Twitcher

Post by Twitcher »

Ian Redshaw's "Berty Bassett" Flea has appeared at the LMA's October exhibition at Gaydon. Impressive size, but, remembering it's only(!) half scale, it's still modest by modern standards at 130" or so w/s. The Wrisley 1/4 scale version is just 66", which sounds quite small until you see how much wing area that encompasses.
Mine flew quite adequately on a 4S 3500 MAh Lipo and a 40-series EMax motor. I moved it on to a mate a couple of years ago and this discussion has made me wish I hadn't.
BTW, that "slot" effect still manifested itself if you suddenly opened the throttle after cruising on low power - until the front wing got its act together, the nose would drop quite markedly! Worrying until you realised what was happening. Just had to hold your nerve.
That huge chunk of lead I can believe! Mine carries around a pound and a half and there was no way it would fly without it.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Twitcher wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 10:06 That huge chunk of lead I can believe! Mine carries around a pound and a half and there was no way it would fly without it.
:D That is why I used 6 or 8 solid steel M10 bolts to mimic the cooling radiator on my HM14 :D (the Carden-Baynes Flea flown by Stephen Appleby had a water cooled Ford engine)

Cheers,
Max.
Stew

Post by Stew »

That must be the Carden-Ford engine I imagine, same as used in the Chilton DW-1.
I have permission from the lady whose relative built the first DW-1, to build a full size one, and I have the plans, but (A) I'm about 4 stone too heavy (I'd have to take off with empty tanks) and (B) no workshop!
(or time and money for that matter). So My permission letter will be a framed keepsake until my lottery win comes off!
Some use a converted Reliant engine, (from the old Robin) and some have used flat fours, but that looks nasty...
I can only stand in the hanger at Old Warden and drool over the two examples there.

I always loved the Flea, ever since at the age of 8 I nicked all my mams clothes props and tried to build my own Flea using dads lawnmower engine. They were neither happy nor impressed with resulting pile of wet washing and butchered lawnmower...
Ah the innocence of youth!

Stew.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

While reading this posts, I was up for another flying session with my flea. So this morning up we went. I had a wonderfull flight with the flea, taking off from the ground and even made some barrel-rolls without crashing. Great landing.
Flea4.JPG
Flea2.JPG
Flea7.JPG
Frank
Stew

Post by Stew »

I can honestly say 'We've got fleas!'
Nice to see these Flea flyers posting. Flying circus or Flea circus?
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Shouldn't this discussion be in the 'flea flight' section?........I'll get me coat......
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Phil will be able to recommend appropriate medication to help you all get rid of your flea problems.

:lol: :lol:

Shaun
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Shaun wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 17:09 Phil will be able to recommend appropriate medication to help you all get rid of your flea problems.

:lol: :lol:

Shaun
Said flea flighters will also need a unique "badge" to proudly identify to non-flea flighters their unique itch. The afore mentioned Phil has already demonstrated what that should be - viewtopic.php?f=61&t=865

Be loud & proud I say...........
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)