Help with USBASP

Arduino projects on the go
MelD

Help with USBASP

Post by MelD » 12 Nov 2019, 14:37

Hello,
Finally took the plunge and ordered some of the latest 328 boards from the Ebay vendor PhilG recommended. I also ordered a Sparkfun USBASP programmer from Amazon. Now to program them. Can someone please give me a caveman explanation on how to take the code from Phil G’s site and stuff it into the Ebay boards? Like 1. Do exactly this. 2. Do exactly that, etc. I don’t see any issue with the hardware installation of the board. I am just not very software literate. Can you help?

Thx,
Mel Duval

Phil_G

Re: Help with USBASP

Post by Phil_G » 12 Nov 2019, 16:14

Hi Mel, welcome aboard
First you'll need to get the Arduino IDE installed, thats easy, just like any other program:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
Choose the top option, 'Windows Installer'
Then you need a driver for the USBASP, and the easiest way by far is to use Zadig to install it:
http://zadig.akeo.ie
Then load up the sketch and make any amendments you need such as channel order, on the Reeduino set the 'activetoggles' variable, etc. If you're not 100% sure of the software then dont change anything else yet.
Then plug the USBASP onto the ICSP header (actually we dont generally install that header - just wedge the 6 pins in for programming) and from the menu select 'upload using programmer' (NOT the upload button!)
It will take a few seconds to compile, then a few more to upload. It will tell you when its done.
Thats it, test the programmed board and then wire it up.
Beware that the ICSP header isnt polarized and ought not to be reversed - though I have without damage.
Cheers
Phil

drigotti

Post by drigotti » 12 Nov 2019, 17:06

You should also ignore the error message after the upload is complete..No?
Dave Rigotti

MelD

Post by MelD » 14 Nov 2019, 03:31

Thank you. Will try it out this weekend I got the IDE installed so all is left is the hardware.
later!
Mel D.

Scott Todd

Post by Scott Todd » 15 Nov 2019, 02:42

Mel is an Engineer. I don't buy this mumbo jumbo he can't do software ;)

I drive a Mac and always had trouble with those USBASP programmers. Occasionally they would work but mostly not. I started soldering the headers onto the board for reliability. I often flash the sketch many times as I change things in it and its just easier if the pins are soldered in. Its only a few minutes more...

I started using an Arduino as the programmer and never looked back. It ALWAYS works! I have one dedicated with the correct wiring going to the IDE header.

Mel, call me if you have troubles. I'm happy to help

Error messages indicate a problem. Sometimes they work but you should find out whats wrong.

Scott

drigotti

Post by drigotti » 15 Nov 2019, 19:21

Here is the error I was told to ignore.....

Martin/all,
Installed the drivers. I programmed a nano with "blink". It worked!...Except I get an error message about "cannot set sck period" BUT it still blinked....
Dave Rigotti

drigotti

Post by drigotti » 16 Nov 2019, 20:35

Actually I've been told this is just a warning, NOT an error.
drigotti wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 19:21
Here is the error I was told to ignore.....

Martin/all,
Installed the drivers. I programmed a nano with "blink". It worked!...Except I get an error message about "cannot set sck period" BUT it still blinked....
Dave Rigotti

MelD

Post by MelD » 01 Dec 2019, 18:49

Scott Todd wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 02:42
Mel is an Engineer. I don't buy this mumbo jumbo he can't do software ;)

I drive a Mac and always had trouble with those USBASP programmers. Occasionally they would work but mostly not. I started soldering the headers onto the board for reliability. I often flash the sketch many times as I change things in it and its just easier if the pins are soldered in. Its only a few minutes more...

I started using an Arduino as the programmer and never looked back. It ALWAYS works! I have one dedicated with the correct wiring going to the IDE header.

Mel, call me if you have troubles. I'm happy to help

Error messages indicate a problem. Sometimes they work but you should find out whats wrong.

Scott
Well, you are right, I can do software if I have to. 😃 But it always takes me a lot longer than it should 😁😁😁. I am an old analog hardware guy. THAT I can do. When I started electronics they taught us tubes. Those glass things with a vacuum that ran on high voltages that could bite you pretty good. (We don’t need to go into why I know that....). Then these fancy things called transistors and REALLY fancy things called ICs came along. I went into engineering management for 20 years and holy cow what a change when I got finally back to dealing with hardware. So I have been catching up for a while now on paper dealing with design safety someone else’s designs. Now it is time for me to get into the 1’s and 0’s........

bluejets

Post by bluejets » 05 Dec 2019, 22:38

MelD wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 14:37
Hello,
Finally took the plunge and ordered some of the latest 328 boards from the Ebay vendor PhilG recommended. I also ordered a Sparkfun USBASP programmer from Amazon. Now to program them. Can someone please give me a caveman explanation on how to take the code from Phil G’s site and stuff it into the Ebay boards? Like 1. Do exactly this. 2. Do exactly that, etc. I don’t see any issue with the hardware installation of the board. I am just not very software literate. Can you help?

Thx,
Mel Duval
Don't know which usbasp you have or which arduino but I looked up the amazon usbasp as you quoted (didn't know where to find your link)
One needs to take care with the programming voltage jumper which can be set either to 5v or 3v3 depending on which arduino you are using.