Interesting :-)

Arduino projects on the go
Phil_G

Interesting :-)

Post by Phil_G »

The ATTiny10, ideal for onboard mixers, servo-slow, reversers, switches, lights etc
16 bit timer but only 8 bit ADC. Looks like it could be loads of fun!
I've ordered one to play with :D

attiny10.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222857863219?ul_noapp=true
Shaun

Re: Interesting :-)

Post by Shaun »

Is that a really big finger or a very small chip :lol:

Shaun
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Hi Phil,
I am already interested, because I like small and tiny things.
I used quite some solo Attiny85 in SMD chip form, which are only slightly bigger for some small applications like home made switches, or converting a normal micro servo into a 180° proportinal servo or a 180° two position servo, or to make memory switches for retracts, which can be operated by the monentery button on the stick of my Spektrum DX10 tranny, which is very convenient.
Homebrew micro-switch for rubber escapements
Homebrew micro-switch for rubber escapements
180° two position servo or 180°proportional servo
180° two position servo or 180°proportional servo
Cheers
Frank
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Phil

They are small, aren't they? If you are like me and have to look at things this size through a magnifying glass, I think some SOT23 breakout boards will help you wire them up for prototyping, such as these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-SMD-SMT- ... :rk:2:pf:0

What you can do with them is quite limited, for me the 32 bytes of internal RAM was the determining factor. You'll certainly have to use the smallest variable type where possible, eg uint8_t (byte) instead of int16_t (int) and large arrays are out. I think you could do a S/C encoder with one, but it would need to be written in C/C++ as the Arduino run-time libraries would be too big. There's a challenge for all of us, who can get a working S/C encoder using an Attiny10?

But if you want the smallest possible S/C encoder, I'm trying a different tack. I'm using one of the earlier ATmega based multiprotocol Tx modules, hard coded for DSM2 (because I have a heap of spare DSM2 Rx), removing the "ppm in" from the firmware and replacing it with a simple S/C encoder in the custom firmware. The switch is connected to the unused "ppm in" pin, you don't need the "ppm in" as the S/C encoder generates the "ppm signals". I'm not quite there yet, but I think I can get it working.

It would be about the smallest encoder possible as it's then integral within the 2.4GHz module. A type of S/C encoder with integral 2.4GHz module. There is no additional cost, just the cost of the multiprotocol Tx module and no other peripherals are needed such as voltage regulators etc (that would be needed if using an Attiny10).

I'm certain it could be done with an OrangeRx module (ATXmega based) or one of the ARM based multiprotocol Tx modules, but I had an ATMega based one to hand and I'm far more familiar with ATMega's than the ATXmega or ARM.

Cheers

Mike