DigiSpark with 6 input/output pins, homebrew fuse-programmer

Arduino projects on the go
MaxZ

Re: DigiSpark with 6 input/output pins, homebrew fuse-programmer

Post by MaxZ »

Phil_G wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 13:19 I think it's a mis-count Max, D2 isn't connected to anything, but gnd is right next to it. All the blue jumpers are gnd. The only thing to watch is the track breaks between the Digispark power pins as they are between adjacent holes. As you say, the DigiSpark Vin isn't used.
Power to the Nano is 12v via the header link seen top-left of the 3rd photo, next to the display header.
If I get time I'll do a layout drawing maybe tonight or soon.
Cheers
Phil
Edit: Done during tea-break! added to 1st post
Thanks Phil, nearly got it right then.... :? ;) I mistook a darkish solder joint for a track cut and had the end of the link to GND shifted to the right by one hole :oops: :D
And, in doing the schematic, I overlooked the link between the battery minus and GND, hence my observation on that.

Cheers,
Max.
waynew17

Post by waynew17 »

Built fuse programmer and uploaded sketch to Nano without any apparent issues. However the I2C display does not work. Gnd and VCC have power. I bought a 3 pack of the displays and none work. I attached copies of my board both front and back. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to troubleshoot next? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1430.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
IMG_1429.jpg
IMG_1429.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
waynew17

Post by waynew17 »

Phil_G wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 21:12 Hi Wayne, I'm at the model car racing club but when I get back I'll compare our Vero photos, could you post a higher res pic please? Both sides if poss, with the nano out :)

Thanks Phil:
Attachments
IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1433.jpg
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Looks ok to me Wayne. one thing to check is the pinout of the OLED, they do vary:
IMG_20190903_002124_275.JPG
waynew17

Post by waynew17 »

Phil,
Thanks for looking the board over. My display is like the one you showed on the right (GND, VCC, SCL, SDA) so I should be ok there too. Uploading the sketch worked after I added the U8gLib file. I uploaded the sketch using the USB port on the Nano and not the ICSP if that matters.

Thanks again,
Wayne
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

OK next step is to try one of the pure display-only sketches from here:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=783
These sketches just display a logo and do nothing else so will prove your
Nano to OLED connections and that the oled is a good one (I've had duff oleds)
Presumably you've checked for 5v between Vcc and Gnd on the OLED pins
This is a 1.3" oled isnt it ?

Edit: just read the previous post again, are you saying that its working now Wayne?
without the u8glib library it wouldnt compile so you wouldnt get to the upload stage (?)
waynew17

Post by waynew17 »

Yes, my oled is 1.3". The oled is not working now, sorry for the confusion with the u8glib. My first pass at uploading the sketch failed as this file was missing. I added the u8glib and was able to upload the sketch.

Sounds like a good next step. I'll work on your suggestions today.

Thanks again,
Wayne
waynew17

Post by waynew17 »

Phil,
I uploaded Blink sketch and that worked successfully. Compiled and uploaded oled 128x64 logo. That sketch compiled and uploaded with no errors. My displays are still blank when power supplied to Nano. I did verify 5V between GND and VCC on display. I'm thinking about ordering another couple displays from a different source. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Wayne
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

The skull & crossbones logo is the very first thing it does Wayne so if thats not showing it has to be the nano,
the display, or the connection between them...
The Nano's processor is definitely running, otherwise you wouldnt be able to upload via usb.
Since the oled interface is so simple, just four lines, I'd be suspecting the oled itself assuming A4 & A5 are ok on the Nano
If you have a logic probe or if not a LED with a series resistor (about 330Ω to 1k ish) , heres an old throwaway A4 A5 test
that we used when DIYMore mixed them up. Run it whilst watching A4, should flash four times, leave it running and
try A5 which should flash five times. Or better still put your probe on SDA (A4) and SCL (A5) in turn.
Make sure SDA flashes 4 times and SCL flashes 5 times.
If thats ok, I think it must be a duff display module.
Attachments
id_a4a5.ino
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
waynew17

Post by waynew17 »

Phil,
Success!! That helped me narrow down the problem. It was a bad solder joint at the display connector extension I made for the SCL pin between circuit board and display.
Thank you so very much!!
Wayne