Repost: PCB design & print

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
_AL_

Repost: PCB design & print

Post by _AL_ »

Postby _AL_ » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Guys,
I'm looking for simple PCB design software that will allow me to print on a laser printer, iron & etch.
Nothing complex needed, simple, small circuits.

Is anyone aware of any free or cheap software that will work? Most of the ones I've found either make you order the PCB through them or are very limited on what you can print.
Thanks.

Al

Re: PCB design & print
Postby ceptimus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 pm

I've used Kicad to do that. It's free and will do simple boards though it's capable of more. It has a slightly challenging learning curve, though there are some good internet tutorials that help with that.

Another one that I tried briefly was ExpressPCB. It has a more complicated sibling called ExpressPCB plus which I think is not free, but ExpressPCB is still free to download and use. It's simpler than Kicad for small PCBs.

Both of them can print to laser printer - and I've used both to make good working PCBs.

Postby FBMinis » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm

http://kicad-pcb.org/

https://easyeda.com/Doc/Tutorial/

Both very nice to work with, in my opinion.

Postby Mosfets » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Eagle by Cadsoft is the one I tend to use.

Ade

Postby Spike S » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:16 pm

"Sprint" is a freeware PCB CAD
https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Wind ... ayout.html

Quick results once you get used to the layout tools.
Spike S

Postby _AL_ » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Thanks all.
I'll give Kicad a go.
Regards.

Al
mode1

Re: Repost: PCB design & print

Post by mode1 »

Having used it for many years, Express PCB free download would be my 1st choice for simplicity and ease of use. There's no major learning curve and although easily capable of more than one layer, Express PCB is a doddle to get to grips with. It does allow direct print out for bubble jet, possibly laser printers too.

I like the versatility of being able to make none listed custom components such as screened can' RF inductors etc. This is a breeze to do. The programme is really versatile to the extent that I've previously used it to draw up a complete kitchen fit by making specific custom components to scale of course, which are nothing more than none complex boxes.

I used Express PCB yesterday to produce vinyl lettering for models. I print out the enlarged model name by making the letters as "custom components", then tape the paper A4 image directly on the top of the vinyl (like Fablon from the Range) Cut outline with scalpel, job done.

For UV photo exposure, (my preferred method) PCB masks can easily be made using a bubble jet printer and OHP (overhead projector) film. Clear see through material with a coarse back, these masks work really well and produce boards to photographic accuracy. Whilst PCB cad such as Eagle and Easy Pc are excellent, the learning curve is fairly steep and can be complex. Express PCB is a bit like Lego. There may be a new version, but the older one could still be downloadable.

Mode1
Flynn

Re: Repost: PCB design & print

Post by Flynn »

Perhaps worth mentioning that easyEDA has the option to download the gerber files of the completed pcb design, something that ExpressPCB will not allow you to do unless you first purchase the boards from them. I'm not sure about kicad but I couldn't immediately see a way to get at the gerber files. Perhaps someone who has experience with kicad could chip in (groan!)

Gerbers are normally required if you want to get your design professionally made by a Chinesium manufacturer
You only ever need two tools....WD40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move when it should use the WD40 and if it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
mode1

Making pcb's easy.

Post by mode1 »

I'm usually wanting a board same day, using photo resist UV sensitive board and a home made mask. As my needs are for prototype boards these days, I can have a very respectable board completed in an hour or so. OHP film works great for making masks, as it comes in A4 sheets, rather than waste a whole sheet I cut out the size needed then simply tape it to a piece of A4 printer paper and use my Epson SX215.

I've made several boards for Phil-G in the past, and have been using this same method for over 40 years, failures are quite rare. It's not too expensive to set up the kit for making good quality boards. A UV light source such as 12" tubes mounted in a suitable box. Cheapo drain cleaner AKA sodium hydroxide from Wilko suitably diluted used to develop the exposed boards, and the usual ferric chloride for etching. Only use sodium hydroxide pearl for developer, some drain cleaners use added aluminium and are not suitable.A cornflakes dispenser with a small fish tank heater makes a good etch tank. Caustic soda is nasty stuff and must be treated with great care. A teaspoonful makes about 500ml of developer. Plastic kitchen ware tubs are great for developing and final rinsing. Don't store developer, always make a fresh "brew".

Mode1