Updating old Schluters.....

Here’s one for Pete
Retro helicopters
Tobe

Re: Updating old Schluters.....

Post by Tobe » 03 Mar 2019, 17:37

Need to make a dive to my attic and pick the next project:
505 Falcon , mint condition, Super Heli Baby or Heli Star, in good used condition and decide if go electric instead of nitro!
You are an inspiration Pete.
Unfortunately I don't have more then a few remains of my first heli a Lark.
The Schluter Huey was my dream....

Pchristy

Post by Pchristy » 21 May 2019, 14:36

Well, I managed to get the Cobra airborne at Ponty, but not without a struggle! In the hot, calm conditions, it didn't want to lift off until I increased the pitch on the blades to 8 degrees (the book says 4!).

I've been having a few issues with the motor setup since I put a higher kV motor in over the winter. Occasionally, just after lift off, there would be a loud CRACK - as if something in the transmission had broken - and it would flop back to the ground! It always seemed to happen on the same battery pack, so I was starting to blame that, but a long chat with Phil_G on Sunday suggested that the motor timing in the speed controller might be too advanced, resulting in an occasional "backfire". Apparently this is a well known phenomenon on electric bicycles!

This morning, I've retarded the timing in the speed controller from "medium" (the default) to "low". That has immediately liberated a lot more power - its now lifting off easily at 6 degrees of pitch. Due to space limitations in my garden (plus the size of the Cobra!), I haven't had chance to try a quick spool up yet, but so far, Phil's suggested fix seems to be working!

Many thanks, Phil!

--
Pete

pulserudder

Post by pulserudder » 21 May 2019, 15:45

Pete, your posts got me digging about, and I actually found an old photo of my fixed pitch MFA Sport 500. Guessing 1990 or 1991. I was in my mid 20's and still had black hair. Must have been the first time I hovered her, as I see I am holding a two stick tranny. I switched to a single stick JR which was loads of fun and eventually moved on with Hirobo Shuttles and Kyosho Concept 30's.
IMG_3953.JPG