Mayfly - by Peter Valentine

Here’s one for Pete
Retro helicopters
Tobe

Re: Mayfly - by Peter Valentine

Post by Tobe » 13 Sep 2020, 06:08

Gosh, amazing Pete, you brought back so many memories with this men and their fantastic flying machines. Often it was a matter to just follow/walk behind helicopter in any direction it took if you wanted to stay airborne.
Many helis had amazing fuselages and to save them from often the inevitable you had to build training ones but as often the mechanics were integrated that wasn't that simple either.
My Lark would only get airborne during windy days and if the temperature was below 20 degC so imagine how it was when I got my Heli Baby in which I had a Super Tigre .60 ST...this engine was such it has the size of a regular .40.
The Heli Baby is the only one of my early choppers together the Lark that I unfortunately didn't kept, but still have in perfect order the Super Heli Baby, the Heli Boy & the Heli Star before I went over to Falcon 505 of which I still have in bits and pieces at least 2 together with maybe not tons but 10's of kg of spare parts. I need to one day dive in those boxes and sort it out. If anyone need spare parts for the 505 let me know as there's a good chance but I'm short of canopies and I will get an excuse to reopen those boxes.

Pchristy

Post by Pchristy » 13 Sep 2020, 09:06

Glad you enjoyed it, Tobe!

I can't recall if I've posted this here before, but it shows my first efforts with a helicopter. It also includes some very fuzzy shots of the original OS 10 powered "Mayfly", so I can justify posting it here! ;)

Enjoy!

--
Pete

Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H » 13 Sep 2020, 11:17

Great videos Pete, thanks for sharing. I suspect your performance at those early comps should be put down to the missing tie - if the hot shots wore a tie, then .......

Progress in Aus at the same time, certainly in the Sydney area, appears to mirror the progress in your videos. The first genuinely successful (i.e. under control at all times) R/C heli flight I saw was at the Sydney Royal Easter Show in 1973. I don't remember the pilot - he was as I recall, from overseas and sponsored by OS - and the heli was a Schluter(?) Cobra.

One thing I noticed very early on at those Sydney heli events was that if "the gun" wore a red cap & jacket, then you could bet your house that at the next event, all the "wanna be's" would be sporting a red cap & jacket :o I referred to it as fake it til you make it syndrome?!? :lol: but then I was a slightly cynical 17 year old back then :oops:

Very entertaining stuff - please keep posting & good luck with the Mayfly repairs ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)

Shaun

Post by Shaun » 13 Sep 2020, 12:05

Great video Pete but why did all the pilots of the day take their heli's for a walk. Wasn't the range on heli radios great back then.😆😆