Newbie in the West

Welcome to the Mode Zero Forum
NeilMac

Newbie in the West

Post by NeilMac » 05 Feb 2019, 07:20

Morning all.

My name's Neil MacKinnon and I'm located down West in North Somerset, I have recently retired and was not looking for anything to do as I have a garage full of steel bicycles, a horse and am a regular competitor in air rifle target shooting competitions. However, a chance encounter with Pat Teakle and other Mendip Soarers and the discovery of two crazy Slovenian flyers on youtube relit a very old fire.... and here I am.

From my loft I am slowly but surely disinterring plans and books gathered in my childhood back in the late 60's and early 70's, a Fox 15 which I bought new from Henry J Nicholls and a Waltron Mini 2, bought new in 1970something. I have already been in touch with Phil G, so the Waltron and an ebay purchased MacGregor Digimac 2 will soon be doing their thang on 2.4 gHz.

The Waltron is going to be installed into something single channel with electric motor throttle control, I haven't decided what yet, but have a 36 to 38" wingspan in mind and it must be a design from the 50's, 60's or 70's. The Digi 2 is going to end up in a Veron Impala as that is the very first RC plane I ever flew... it wasn't mine, I didn't have anything like the money needed for such exotica, it belonged to my flying buddy Steve Oak, but it was the first, and now I live very close to Crook Peak, I might actually get to see what the Impala can really do.

Anyone down in the West, shout out, I would love to see what kind of mischief other people are getting up to.

Neil
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"

PaulJ

Re: Newbie in the West

Post by PaulJ » 05 Feb 2019, 15:22

Hi Neil and welcome, it sounds like you've found a natural home in this forum.

I used to make regular pilgrimages to Crook Peak back in the middle/late 70s for the Pylon Racing, Cross Counrtry and Multi-Task Competitions. Indeed I still have the old Skyleader Clubman I flew back then but now it is on 2.4 ;) .

'Often flew against Pat Teakle..... Please give him my regards (If he remembers me!)

Paul Jefferies

NeilMac

Post by NeilMac » 05 Feb 2019, 15:43

Hi Paul,
I have been invited back to Crook Peak "any Wednesday", trouble is the last time I walked to the top I found I was the only person there. I will be returning though, once the weather settles down a bit and will be sure to pass on your regards.

The reason I stopped in the first place was Pat's huge Leprechaun glider, finished in bright yellow film, a quick chat had me dragging up memories from the late 60's and early 70's.... and here I am. :mrgreen:

Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H » 09 Feb 2019, 06:21

Welcome Neil, great to have you with us ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ :roll:

Sundancer

Post by Sundancer » 09 Feb 2019, 20:23

NeilMac wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 07:20

.......The Waltron is going to be installed into something single channel with electric motor throttle control, I haven't decided what yet, but have a 36 to 38" wingspan in mind and it must be a design from the 50's, 60's or 70's.
Neil
Hi Neil

May I suggest that you consider a couple of John Bowmer designs from the mid 1960s - the "Erk" (published in "Model Aircraft"
Erk.jpg
or the "Swannee" published in "Aeromodeller"
Swannee47.jpg
, both as free plans. Both originally for .049 IC and rudder only escapement control, but delightful conversions to rudder/throttle electric with propo control.

Good luck and enjoy your return to the model flying fold

NeilMac

Post by NeilMac » 09 Feb 2019, 20:29

Will do, thanks for the suggestions.