Oh no - not another newbie!

Welcome to the Mode Zero Forum
Tim Hooper

Oh no - not another newbie!

Post by Tim Hooper »

Hi Everyone!

My name's Tim, and I'm a lifer when it comes to aeromodelling.

I'm usually electrically-motivated for convenience, but in the last few years I've been regressing back to childhood in that I've been experimenting with diesel power.

Besides the balsa bashing, I've been learning a little about metal machining in the last year or so, and have recently made some simple carburetors to update some old engines.

I should also add that my knowledge of electronics is limited to soldering battery connectors......

I'm not a purist - aeromodelling is a broad church, and I don't want to limit myself solely to a single niche. So there're are several foamies in my hangar. Don't hate me, OK?

Tim
Mike_K

Re: Oh no - not another newbie!

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard.

Don't apologise for some foam, I have a depron single channel Weekender in the fleet (thanks Wayne) and always use a beat-up Foamie Wot4 or AcroWot to test fly transmitters, so the first flight of all the Skyleaders, Futaba M6s and other retro radios I've converted is with a Foamie. And I must be the only modeller on this forum who dislikes the smell of model diesel engines, if I could convert my Mills 1.3 and 0.75 to glow, I happily would! A broad church indeed.

Look forward to seeing you fly galloping ghost next Ponty!
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Welcome onboard, good to see you here. Don't worry about foamies....I know at least a few chaps that I'm sure beats you there...however I'm not one of them. I'm sure you will enjoy the forum and be able to pick something that will interest you.
....and please at your discretion share those projects of yours that you think interesting.
So once again, welcome

Cheers Tim,

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

It was great to meet up Tim, I knew of you of course through your rcm&e features and posts on the modelflying forum, but a real pleasure to meet up in person. Glad you enjoyed your stay at Squires too, its a great campsite, top notch breakfast and a bit of a second home for us... :)
Heres the Royal Enfield Continental GT at Squires: viewtopic.php?p=13940#p13940
I've just taken out a cheapo subs offer with rcm&e so I saw your PAW carb, always been envious of real engineers, we have a chap at Ponty who flies his own engines, usually a 4-stroke V-twin - so complex, way beyond my comprehension :) (electronics is easy in comparison)
Do chime in, its a pretty open forum here, very little is off topic.
Cheers
Phil
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Welcome to Mode Zero from a previous recent Newbie :)

It was brilliant seeing you and Netty again after what must have been at least a dozen years. It brought back memories of those super fly-ins and club visits in the early days of electric flight. There was a sense of that in the marvellous event at Pontefract over the weekend - I'd thought, from reading this forum, that it was a special event and that was certainly borne out on the day. Even the terrible weather couldn't spoil the weekend and I'm still buzzing coming up to a week later!