Sizing photos

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
rudderonlybird

Sizing photos

Post by rudderonlybird »

Could you let me know how to post pictures without taking out the server :? Last time I tried with another site the file size was too big. I'm not at all a computer literate. :oops:
Wayne_H

Re: Sizing photos

Post by Wayne_H »

A relatively simple way (assuming you are using Windows) is to:
1. save a copy of your photograph(s) then work on the copy with MS Paint
2. Firstly, crop the picture to the area/detail you want and save it (file, save as) with a meaningful file name.
3. Then, using file explorer, check the file size of your newly saved picture. You want to end up with a file size of about 200kb - with my internet connection, I have found that this file size gives the best balance between resolution, upload speed and upload reliability (no drop outs & lost work).
4. If your picture is too large, using Paint, "resize" the image by specifying the % you want to reduce it by. Trial and error here is OK (that's why you are working on a copy!). Only when you have a file size of about 200kb, save it again.
5. Once you have done this for each of your pictures, you are ready to upload

There are plenty of picture manipulation software packages out there, but this is a simple way to get the outcome you need using standard Windows included software. Hope it helps!
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Igull

Post by Igull »

Another way is to use 'PicResize' - an online (free) webapp - just use it in your browser - it doesn't matter what OS you use - Mac/Windoze/Linux

http://www.picresize.com/

I've used it literally thousands of times for lots of years - ultra simple.

Cheers

Neil
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Another one is resizejpg - http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/resizejpeg/ .It is a windows utility that runs from your PC and it does what it says 'on the tin' :)
You only ever need two tools....WD40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move when it should use the WD40 and if it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
rudderonlybird

Post by rudderonlybird »

Thanks, all. After reading Phil's post I simply loaded what pictures I had and it went well, with most of them being near 2MB. Should be OK.