Another RDT question

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
GarydNB

Re: Another RDT question

Post by GarydNB »

....hmmmmm....something's not right....followed Phil's diagram exactly......worked first time! ....I'll probably drop it.....

Just thinking, If I plug the battery into the rx with the wrong polarity will I get smoke?
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Well done that man Image
Looks like a handy little rx for small stuff like rdt, and cheap too.
How are you mounting it all? the ones I've seen have everything (rx,servo & cell) on a small ply plate thats
easily moved between models. There was an 'Aeromodeller' article, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Heres a nicer picture:

banggood_rdt_rx.jpg
GarydNB wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 10:33 If I plug the battery into the rx with the wrong polarity will I get smoke?
Oh yes, from the receiver AND the servo!

What about a couple of these Dupont jumpers? (you just peel off what you need)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6D5C-40Pcs-2 ... 3085765887

GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Thanks Phil,
I'm going with the ply plate but as you say, they're pretty cheap so now that I know they work I'll send off for some more and make a few up. I need to get a 1S lipo charger for low capacity cells and sort out some plug arrangement that weighs nothing.
Gary
Martin

Post by Martin »

I prefer to have a female connector on one battery lead and male on the other. That way you can't connect the battery up to the other gubbins the wrong way round. Of course you might then accidentally plug the battery into itself creating a dead short - but that usually only destroys the battery and not any other electronics!

I now chant the mantra, 'Red to red and black to black' when connecting batteries in an effort to reduce the number of batteries I destroy. Luckily the few I've destroyed have just burned through the tags that join the individual cells together (which act like a sort of fuse) - the batteries have then been beyond repair but at least they've not ignited, destroying a model or transmitter or whatever in the process!
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

They only go bang once :D

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire