Corona DIY module/ Rx range check

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
stuart mackay

Corona DIY module/ Rx range check

Post by stuart mackay »

Just bought a Phil G encoder equipped Skyleader Clubman and cant find any info how to range check it.

Have managed to bind and set failsafe ok and any help would be appreciated before letting the J60 loose in the air with the corona set up.
Phil_G

Re: Corona DIY module/ Rx range check

Post by Phil_G »

Hi Stu, that Clubman was one of mine, I gave it to Doug some time ago. He did the original conversion using a screw-terminal Nano adapter, then later I refitted it for him using the homebrew PCB. I think I fitted a better S/C button at the same time. Its a great set, you'll enjoy flying it.

Coronas dont have a low-power function so a range check is a long walk or bicycle ride.
Personally I dont see the point of reduced power 30-pace range checks, they dont prove anything.
With any new tranny I always, always do a full power long range check using a nearby roman road over a mile long. Any present day 2.4g set should make at least half a mile, probably more. Frsky typically runs well over a mile. I generally do range checks at night, I have a widget that replaces a servo which has ultra-bright LEDs, red for one way and green for the other. At night it can be seen miles away.

Cheers
Phil
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Thanks for that Phil, best I start walking then!

Got a question about the throttle cut three position switch. Is it just a cut or does the third position do anything?

Have been struggling a bit with the mixer switch as it seems to randomly putting a Rudder Elevator mix on despite the switch being in the centre of the three positions?

I have disconnected the switch from the encoder board for peace of mind, is this ok or will it pick up any other random signals. I did notice the rudder servo was jittering with the Tx case removed. This disappears when the case is refitted.

Cheers

Stuart
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Phil_G wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 22:26 ...... I generally do range checks at night, I have a widget that replaces a servo which has ultra-bright LEDs, red for one way and green for the other. At night it can be seen miles away.

Cheers
Phil
You must have few neighbours Phil ;)

Scenario 1: Strange flashing lights seen at night on Roman road, oh no, their back Martha (theme from Twilight Zone playing in background) or,
Scenario 2: lights & associated kit disappear during range check, having been nicked by local urchins or,
Scenario 3: hey look, its that crazy kennel bloke out riding his bike again......... :lol:

the things we do...........
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)