OS Cougar Mark 2

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
stuart mackay

OS Cougar Mark 2

Post by stuart mackay »

Just got a boxed Cougar 5 Mk 2.Tx case cleaned up ok, but need to get corroded batteries out.
There are two battery boxes which look like they are screwed to the case bottom with a single screw.
Tried unscrewing the black screw on bottom and battery box is still in there, any ideas what might be retaining the battery?
PaulJ

Re: OS Cougar Mark 2

Post by PaulJ »

Any chance of a picture or two? I don't know the Cougar intimately but from your decription, maybe a previous owner over tightened the black screw and stripped the thread in the plastic battery box so he did a neat job of sticking it in (epoxy?) and put the screw back in so nobody would know! If there is nothing obvious holding it, I think I would try prising it gently with a Stanley blade.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Stuart

My OS Cougar had the battery boxes held in by a very thick double sided tape. If you look closely at the battery boxes you'll see that there are no fixing holes in them. I think the screws you refer to were to hold the base of the aerial, but it was a few months ago that I stripped it out and the screws may have been for something else.

I hope this helps.

Mike

IMG_20180506_173727_resized_20180506_070149470.jpg
IMG_20180506_192511.jpg
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Hi Guys, similar tape found to that described by Mike.
The two screws on the bottom face, that I mentioned, spin when the battery boxes are turned so it looks like they do retain the boxes. There is a small nut at the top of the box, nicely corroded so have given them a drop or two of penetrating oil and will try again tomorrow.
Attachments
_SAM1923.JPG
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Stuart

My misunderstanding. There obviously is a long screw that goes the whole way through the battery box with a retaining nut on the top, I assumed that you had put a small spanner or pliers on this and unscrewed the long screw and were struggling with some other fixing. But when you have removed this screw you will find the double sided tape is still firmly holding the battery box in, it will need gentle persuasion to remove.

If the long screw is too corroded to remove, you could just drill the screw head out. If you damage the long screw getting it out and you want to re-use the battery boxes, you are quite welcome to mine as the Cougar is destined to be converted to 2.4GHz and be powered by a small lipo battery, the battery boxes are surplus to my requirements.

Regards

Mike

IMG_20180507_001850_small.jpg