Killing a Stall

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
Carl

Killing a Stall

Post by Carl »

I have accumulated a number of older books - which I like as they do cover construction and radio control in it's early days. Now one book has a little section about rudder only powered flying, and it says this when launching:

"Keep the model straight into the wind, until it has climbed up to a good height. If it shows any tendency to rear up and stall, then kill that stall with a bit of rudder, put in, and returned to neutral, put in, and returned to neutral, to ease the model into a slight turn...."

I kind of understand what it's saying, but what does "put in" mean in this context?

Hoping someone knows this from the old days.

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
iflylilplanes

Re: Killing a Stall

Post by iflylilplanes »

When you turn with a rudder only (escapement style), you pulse the rudder in a turn, what you are doing is keeping the aircraft on a bank for the turn, if you hold the rudder continuous the aircraft will roll into a spiral dive loosing altitude, a pulsing turn will maintain altitude while turning.

I think that is what is meant by put in put in, it's possible the book was published before the term pulse was coined for a banking turn.
Cheers,

Dave
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks Dave. It appears to be old forgotten term. What you're suggesting fits as the information goes on to explain that you'd then start to initiate a slight turn in the opposite direction, so that you continue to climb with a slight weave instead of straight. This is different to giving the rudder a waggle that puts the nose up to climb, but appears to do the opposite and reduces the rate of climb.

Stalls under power will then need to be corrected with a little downthrust.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Carl, it sounds like you have it, I would, if the wind is light continue the turn in one direction left or right, if the wind is stronger I would say turn 20 degrees left using a pulsing turn and then turn to the right and back 20 degrees each side of your launch direction till I am far enough up wind to do circuits without going down wind to far, the snaking climb out should keep the nose down till the motor cut and you can get back to the field.
Cheers,

Dave
jmendoza

Post by jmendoza »

I remember having to do "S" turns in strong winds to keep the plane going upwind. With single channel, if you get downwind, it is hard to penetrate to get back up wind, so "S" turns are about the only way to keep the nose up wind and penetrating without zoom climbing.

"Put in" means push the button. cCrazy term, but then we are two countries separated by a common language! :D
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thank you for your explanations and guidance - I've learnt a lot from members of this forum :D

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

I had the opportunity to apply this technique today and certainly is effective in killing a stall. If I use too much power on my Pulstar it can start stalling, and this technique really does bring it back under control, and was effective in making progress into the wind too.

Thanks for your guidance and help :D

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING