Gold Wing FM Transmitter - Has anybody ever heard of them?

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
Mike_K

Gold Wing FM Transmitter - Has anybody ever heard of them?

Post by Mike_K »

Hi All

I recently picked up a small collection of vintage transmitters from a retired modeller. I'm familiar with all of them except one, a Gold Wing FM transmitter. Has anybody ever heard of them before? I've had a quick search through old RCM&E adverts from 1979 to 1985, but didn't see anything to match.

It is probably British, as it has Skyleader joysticks, meter and aerial mount, the case is very reminiscent of a Micron PL6D or Horizon HS4D, with plastic mouldered end-caps (but different to both).

Any info on them would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

GoldWing_FM_Front.jpg
GoldWing_FM_back.jpg
PaulJ

Re: Gold Wing FM Transmitter - Has anybody ever heard of them?

Post by PaulJ »

Mike, I'm 99% sure that I had one of these and if not, mine looked very like it! If I'm right they were made in small numbers by a chap called Roy Tiller who lived in Sussex back in the early 80s. When I moved "up market" I gave my set to a nephew and I believe it is still in somebody's loft somewhere in our family. I will try to locate it to confirm......... and who knows, if my nephew doesn't want it any more I may reclaim it and convert it myself! ;)

Paul
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Thanks for the info Paul, I didn't think anybody would have heard of one, let alone owned one!

I was so into my Skyleaders back then, that I probably overlooked anything from a smaller manufacturer. It must be one of the rarer Tx in my collection from that period, as by then the Japanese sets were slowly taking over.

Cheers Mike
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

The good news is that my nephew has confirmed that his (my) set definitely is a Gold Wing :P . However the bad news is that it is in his loft on the other side of the country so it will be a while before I can be reunited with it :( .

Roy Tiller worked from his home and as far as I know was never a "manufacturer" as such but made these radios to order. He was also a Radio Amateur and the local "guru" on all things radio. Though I have lost contact with him, I found an article by him on the SAM 1066 website so if you need any more info on Gold Wing he may be contactable through SAM 1066........

Paul
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well, I have been sent a picture of my old Gold Wing and I fear it is looking a bit the worse for wear and from being in the loft for upwards of 25 years.........
GoldWing1.jpg
Hopefully it will clean up ok and the good news is that at least he removed the batteries before storing it so just maybe it will still work? :roll: With any luck I sould get it back by Christmas. :P
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Paul

It's fantastic to see photos of another Gold Wing FM and yours is boxed too. It looks like it should clean OK, it's better than mine before I gave it a once over.
Phil_G wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 18:49 Can you imagine if someone found one of Ron's superb S/C sets in 2058? :D
Phil if there were only around 100 Gold Wings made, then you or Ron have probably made more transmitters than Roy Tiller and therefore more chance of some of your transmitters surviving! But it doesn't surprise me that there's still a few out there. One thing I've realised many years ago is that most modeller are hoarders (me included) and there are still hundreds of vintage transmitters out there. Many club mates have told me they still have vintage transmitters on the shelf, if I haven't already nabbed them!

Anybody for a Gold Wing FM owners club?

Cheers Mike
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Mike, have you tried yours? Does it still work on 35 MHz?

Paul
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Paul

I hadn't previously tested it, so I went to the workshop this afternoon, fitted a NiMH and turned it on. Using my 35MHz monitor the correct channel LED came on. So far so good.

When I bought the transmitter, I didn't get a matching Gold Wing Rx, so I tried it with my trusty Corona Synthesised Rx and it works! I like transmitters that still work after 40 years without fixing :)

What chance of finding a matching Gold Wing Rx though? And do you know what servo's (if any) were supplied?

Cheers Mike
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Hi Mike,

I must have had at least two receivers as I have just had a look through my box of "treasures that I might need one day" and found a long forgotten Gold Wing Rx........
IMG_20181111_214500[1].jpg
It is in a sealed (two halves glued together) black plastic case so if it doesn't work the case will have to be cut open to work on it. My nephew tells me that his receiver also still exists though it is still in a model in his loft and hopefully I will get that back in the fullness of time so if I end up with two working receivers I will let you have one. The servos were standard Skyleader.

Paul
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Paul

If you have a spare Gold Wing Rx I'm more than willing to pay for it or swap it with something in my collection.

Assuming the servo's were the common Skyleader SCR-1, I have over 60 of them, about half with the later 3 pin connector and the others with the earlier 4 pin connectors, in both white and black plastic, so if you need any to complete your set, let us know.

Cheers

Mike