Propo board replacement

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
RalphJ

Propo board replacement

Post by RalphJ »

Help needed!

I'm part way through converting a Digifleet Custom 3 transmitter to give me something 'vintage' to fly my older models with. Unfortunately the circuit board is badly damaged by battery corrosion and doesn't now work despite my best repair efforts. I gather from this site and Phils video that it's possible to replace the board with an arduino thingy - programmed for seven propo channels. Sounds ideal - except that like most people, I am an electronics dunce and wouldn't even know where to start! I can't see anything out there in internetland so was wondering if one of the experts here might be willing to make me something up for a fee? I just need the four usual channels with trims, rates switches for elevator and ailerons and an IC throttle cut switch. Can anyone help or should I look for a replacement board?

Thanks
PaulJ

Re: Propo board replacement

Post by PaulJ »

As a fellow electronics dunce I can assure you that, as long as you can use a soldering iron, there is nothing simpler....... Take everything out of the case except the stick units and you might also be able to reuse the switch. Decide whether you want to use a Frsky or Orange Tx module (I already had a few receivers on DSM2/X so I went for Orange) and order the appropriate encoder from Phil. Follow his instructions to the letter and you can't go wrong. Truly, I haven't a clue how it all works........ but work it does. I've done 13 trannies of different types and now I just need more models. :P

Paul
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi chaps. I'm currently doing likewise to a really nice clean Digifleet XP/FM. RalphJ, I know where you're coming from. I have everything out of the case bar the stick units, with their damn small pots and even smaller solder tabs...(Grrr, I really could have picked an easier one...).
Having successfully programmed the Arduinio Nano, I have had a few abortive attempts to solder the Arduino 15 pin header sockets, Frsky module, and other wires to a veroboard, before I cut it all out again whilst inventing new swearwords, and sat back to lick my wounds...
Phil does an encoder for these you say? Count me in...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Not sure if it will help but this is my conversion of a 6 channel Digifleet FM...... I think they were all in a similar case?
IMG_20190226_133612.jpg
IMG_20190226_133539.jpg
Phil's Arduino thingy is on the right at the bottom and as you can see, after soldering the leads onto the stick pots and other bits and pieces, it is just a plug-n-go job. In order to keep the outside appearance as close to the original as possible, the rate and expo pots are wired via the original two rate switches either side of the meter. The switched channel is on the original u/c switch on the top of the case. Externally the only thing that is not original is the bind button and little flashing LED which I have sited in the top of the case.

Paul
RalphJ

Post by RalphJ »

Thanks Paul. Yes that's the same transmitter as mine so that's useful. What do you mean by the 'switched channel' btw?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

RalphJ wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 14:51 What do you mean by the 'switched channel' btw?
Instead of a slider or other control, some transmitters have a switched channel, usually used for undercarriage..... one way is up, the other is down. My fleet had the u/c switch in the top of the case and Phil's encoder has one specific "switched channel". ie. two positions with nothing in between.

Paul
RalphJ

Post by RalphJ »

Ok thanks.