Silver covering

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
Stew

Silver covering

Post by Stew »

Anyone got a good diesel (or perhaps glow) proof method of giving a model a silver appearance? Perhaps plain tissue sprayed with a rattle can?
PaulJ

Re: Silver covering

Post by PaulJ »

I found a good fuel proof silver in a rattle can is "engine paint" available in car goodies shops..... Silver comes up best when sprayed over a white primer.

Paul
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...if you are looking for the old real fabric covered airplanes silver look just go to an art supply store and buy aluminum powder/ aluminum paste and mix it with your regular dope.
Cheers,

Tobe
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thanks fellas I'll give both methods a shot.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Tobe wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 07:21 ...if you are looking for the old real fabric covered airplanes silver look just go to an art supply store and buy aluminum powder/ aluminum paste and mix it with your regular dope.
Aluminium powder and dope ? - don't smoke while mixing that energetic brew !
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Probably worth wearing a mask as well? I don't know, but I'm not sure it would be too healthy to breathe any in. Aluminium has been linked to dementia - not that anyone would notice given the general madness of all Vintage modellers!!!
Stew

Post by Stew »

Best part of the hobby is the dangerous and noxious substances! Dope, Ether, bring it on.

Most vintage aeromodelling events seem to be a retreat for the elderly and the permanently baffled, and although not elderly yet, I count myself amongst their number. In this modern world I feel cast adrift, so the amiable bunch of characters to be found at such events are ideal company when you simply have no clue what the 'rules' of modern life are any more.

Stew.
RalphJ

Post by RalphJ »

I can recommend 151 spray paint cans - available on eBay. They are low cost and cellulose based so compatible with doped covering. Also work great on solartex. The silver needs no primer and covers really well. One coat of sprayed fuel proofer afterwards and you have a great finish.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thanks RalphJ. I'm looking forward to trying this stuff. I saw a photo of a Halifax Spartan in silver recently, and it looked great in silver.
IanH

Post by IanH »

From my experience, silver is not a great colour to paint a model. It tends to disappear very quickly in a clear blue sky, and even more quickly into an overcast sky. Very hard to see unless you keep it very close, or it has lots of other, more visible colours on it too. :-\
Why would I buy something for $7 when I can make it myself with just $250 worth of equipment and materials.