Help with Codamac conversion

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
MickC

Help with Codamac conversion

Post by MickC »

Hi,
I'm new to Mode Zero. Just acquired a Macgregor Codamac transmitter and Phil Green's 2.4 emulator and coder conversion. Phil has been very helpful and I am on the case with the connections apart from the Codamac stick wiring, which Phil is not experienced with. The Codamac is not the proportional version, it sends two blips left and one right generated by two sets of wipers brushing a disk attached to the stick. [Phil: not so -see 6 posts down]

I have struggled with this and cannot work out the connections. Does anyone have experience with this and advise how to connect Phil's emulator to to this? It has a three wire servo type lead but there are just too many variables to guess.

Can anyone hep?

Many thanks,
Cheers,
Mick Cayton.
tiptipflyer

Re: Help with Codamac conversion

Post by tiptipflyer »

Hi Mick,
the Codamac Tx is very hard to convert as it is. It is almost impossible to use the original stick. I did a conversion some time ago, but I added two microswitches to the stick unit which makes the Codamac a three channel reeds transmitter instead of a coded S/C unit. It now works realy well.
You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=105
I am using an Attiny 84 on a custom made PCB and a 35MHz module on mine.
If you like a nice S/C unit, you better watch out for another transmitter to convert.
Maybe someone else will have a good idea.
Good luck
Frank
MickC

Post by MickC »

Hello Frank,

Thanks for your quick response. I have looked at your reed conversions and they are interesting but not quite where I want to be heading right now. I can't help but wonder why Macgregor made the two pulse left and one for right switch so complicated; microswitches would probably have worked better to start with...

Anyway, I would like to persevere with this unit for a while even though the stick is really the only original item I need (apart from the case). I do know where I can pick up a Digimac proportional single channel, so might end up using that.

Cheers,
Mick
MickC

Post by MickC »

Hi Phil,

Yes, I am going to mess about with a DVM but I am not feeling too positive about it. Three wires come from your coder to connect with two sets of three wipers. On top of that I don't know which way round the disk with the conductors goes - there is no paint mark on the disk/screw.

If Shaun could send me a picture or a drawing of the wiring and disk orientation the job would be done.

Many thanks for your help chaps - I'll try to get to Pontefract in May. I would have liked to take a single channel model or two; I'll see how we go... Got a Majestic Major and a Stentorian, but they have lots of channels...

Cheers,
Mick.
MickC

Post by MickC »

Sorry Phil, the "microswitches" you mentioned has just registered. That would actually be more reliable than the brushes and lands system that Macgregor used. I could set a couple of cams on the disk for left and one for right to trigger two microswitches. I'll have a think. Would the microswitch have to stay down to hold the signal on (i.e. right or left rudder) or does a return stick movement cancel the signal?

Cheers,
Mick.
MickC

Post by MickC »

I assumed left stick sent two signals, right stick one. It would be easier with one switch actication for each side. Still feeling my way round here.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

No, its just a two-way, centre-off toggle switch Mick. All the 'two-for-left stuff' was done electronically within the coder circuit,
there is a pot to set the cadence speed, its all in the original Codamac instructions

Shaun has done a Macgregor Codamac using the original switch - he's fully occupied at the moment but I'm sure we can sort it Mick. Personally I'd attach a couple of microswitches like Frank did, but use the coder rather than make it a reeds set - the coder is what makes it a Codamac!

All you need is to ground the 'right' wire when pushing the lever right, and to ground the 'left' wire when pushing the lever left. So pretty much any spring-centre two-way toggle switch would do, though its quite feasible to use the original disk-&-wiper thingy as Shaun did on his. By chance are you going to Buckminster this weekend?
Cheers
Phil
MickC

Post by MickC »

Phil, I don't think I can make it to Buckminster this week-end. I have the instructions - my Codamac was new and unused when I picked it up. It looks a bit secondhnd now though as I've pulled it to pieces, but perhaps I ought to have RTFM... It was only the stick, switch and case that I wanted though, so I guessed the original instructions would not have been of much use.

If I can't work it out I'll take you up on your offer and package the stick and the emulator and coder off to you.
Thanks Phil.

Cheers,
Mick.
MickC

Post by MickC »

Okay, I think I have it now. I was preoccupied with the two switches for left the original used. I will try a centre off toggle switch and see how it goes...
Mark Winstanley

Post by Mark Winstanley »

HI guys; I too am converting an old codamac transmitter to 2.4 GHz. I had thought of using the original stick and wheel with the contacts until I saw the state of them. I see the recommendation for the use of micro switches but am not sure what type and how to mount. Can someone post a picture of their installation for me please and advise they type of switch to use?

Thanks

Mark.