F/F Tomboy converted to S/C

Free flight and rubber powered models
Post Reply
User avatar
Wayne_H
Posts: 247
Joined: 17 Feb 2018, 05:26
Location: Temora, NSW. Australia
Contact:

F/F Tomboy converted to S/C

Post by Wayne_H » 29 Apr 2019, 07:20

Following on from my original post viewtopic.php?f=53&t=432

It's taken longer than I'd anticipated to get such a relatively simple conversion completed!?! :oops: I typically have several projects "on the go" concurrently - that way, if I start to lose enthusiasm or its impractical to undertake a particular task such as sanding or painting when I have the time, I can utilise the available time working on something else.

The Tutor wing has been repaired, sanded to a more aerodynamic profile and made ready for covering with laminating film & tissue, using the same methodology I employed on the (new build) tail-plane. I didn't sand off every last bit of the silver enamel or re-straighten the crooked ribs, to leave a visible connection to the origins & history of this 50+ year old wing. The fact that the Tutor flew so well in it's original "as built"(?) condition says great things about the original design. :ugeek:

I'm still undecided on which radio functionality to install - GG, 1+1 or compound action - my current leaning is towards an Adams magnetic actuator and a 1+1 Tx. The Mills .75 is to be replaced with an electric system.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ :roll:

User avatar
Wayne_H
Posts: 247
Joined: 17 Feb 2018, 05:26
Location: Temora, NSW. Australia
Contact:

Re: F/F Tomboy converted to S/C

Post by Wayne_H » 10 May 2019, 05:40

More progress...........

The Tutor wing having been repaired & sanded to a more aerodynamic profile, has been covered with laminating film. I was going to then tissue it, but I decided to forgo that as eventually this wing will have a Tutor fuse & tail-feathers built for it and I have a different colour scheme in mind for that machine.
finished_2_s.jpg
surprising how much the rounded wing tips change the Tomboy look!

Consequently, coloured trim tape was applied to the laminating film covering, to give some contrast & colour consistency with the rest of the Tomboy. A genuine Tomboy wing will be constructed (eventually 8-) ), so it will be finished the same as the existing (new Tomboy) tailplane.
finished_3_s.jpg
finished_1_s.jpg

The Mills .75 has been removed & replaced with a 2212 2200kv outrunner mounted on a new firewall after the old engine bearers were shortened. The nose of the Tomboy fuselage was painted red - mainly to hide previous wear & tear while sealing off the new motor former and maintaining the overall colour scheme.
nose job.jpg

Radio wise, I opted for a rudder servo - easier & quicker :P . It's surprising how much additional time & effort goes into a retro-fit/conversion, time that is not required in a new build when the necessary features are included in the new structure as you build. e.g. servo rails, pushrod & radio installation, rudder (not a trim tab), battery box, cutouts in formers for motor wiring, etc., etc.
fin+rudder_s.jpg
original trim tab incorporated into the new rudder

Make the rudder push rod, complete the radio installation, balance and then test fly :D :D
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ :roll:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest