Mayfly Old Warden 12-13th May

Events and news
Wavemeter

Mayfly Old Warden 12-13th May

Post by Wavemeter »

Hello all I’m pondering the idea of a camping weekend at this event and would love to bring some models . Forgive my ignorance what models would be appropriate? I’m assuming free flight and simple radio?

Jonathan
Reconstituted boy
PaulJ

Re: Mayfly Old Warden 12-13th May

Post by PaulJ »

It is a great event and well worth a visit but be warned........ If you go once you will be hooked and have to go to all three events every year! The events are run by "Modelair" (Ken Shepherd) and details are on his website..... http://www.modelair.info/ If in any doubt give Ken a ring, his number is on the website.

In a nutshell you have to have a BMFA A or B certificate and current BMFA Insurance. For freeflight there is a maximum engine size of .75cc and weight limit of 500gms.

You can fly any kind of r/c on the main flightline but in the freeflight area only "radio assist" is permitted which is defined as rudder only and then only to stop it flying away. I am pretty sure all the radio assist models also have to comply with the .75cc/500gm limits for safety reasons........ there are people wandering all over the airfield. On the Sunday there is a rudder only/i.c. only (electrics not allowed!) spot landing event. Each event has a theme (same each year) and in May it is for Mercury Magnas. In July it is for any rudder only design and in September the theme is Vic Smeed designs. There ia also an "Ebeneezer" event at each event..... I am entering this for the first time this year ;) There are also lots of trade stands and I challenge you to come away without buying something!
Vespanezer.JPG
The as yet unflown Ebeneezer :o

I should also mention that the Shuttleworth Collection is simply the best aircraft museum I have ever been to and, if the weather isn't suitable for flying, you could easily spend the whole weekend in there and still not see it all.

Go for it.....

Paul