Flying across the sea: Calais-Dover v.v. 2018

Events and news
F2B

Flying across the sea: Calais-Dover v.v. 2018

Post by F2B »

Yes, the plans are there.
But we don't have a date. As yet.
Could be tomorrow already (April 8th), depending on the availabilty of the boat that carries the team with their transmitters across. The crew that does the take off, takes the next ferry and the landing team (I might be one of them) gets up early and takes the first ferry and waits on the cliff top.... :mrgreen:
The boat developed a technical problem yesterday but it should be OK by now, but if not next possible dates will be: April 14th, 21th or May 5th.
Here's the plan ( it's in Dutch, I'm sorry): http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/th ... st-3877406
The retro part is that we're flying scaled up vintage FF designs this time and next year a 50% scale Bleriot.
The RC is done in a relay. One Tx off, the next on. All controlled and confirmed through handheld portos.
That's why we're using 35MHz, or else controling through different Txes wouldn't be possible.

Bruno

Edit: Boat's OK, I'm leaving for Bleriot Plage now...... :D Tomorrow (if the weather still permits) will be The Day.
Last edited by F2B on 11 Apr 2018, 10:25, edited 3 times in total.
F2B or not to be....
PaulJ

Re: Channel Crossing 2018

Post by PaulJ »

'Sounds like a great project...... Good Luck! :P
F2B

Re: Flying across the sea: Calais-Dover v.v. 2018

Post by F2B »

We made it, and we didn't.
From Calais to Dover took about 105 minutes and just while bringin her in, the enige quit (no fuel left).
So a dead stick in the meadow.... The rubber bands that held the undercarriage snapped and there it stood, tail up... Just like Louis Bleriot himself... :mrgreen:

On the way back we reached speeds of 20 kts. and, after only 65 minutes, when we were no more than 3/4 mile from the french shore, the engine quit which meant a dead stick ditching. But that happened really gently and only 20ft. from the boat, so within 3 minutes we had hauled her aboard.
A bit wet, but nothing serious.
Here's my report (in Dutch, but pictures tell the story): http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/th ... st-3879522

My fellow expedition member Max, who by the way is co designer for (dutch) RBC kits, wrote this report in English: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/pos ... 135107&p=1

Here's the album from my buddy Ernst, he and I were the team that did the landing in the UK...
https://myalbum.com/album/wjnbr9SHPpdQ
I'm the guy with the round glasses and the moustache and the red 'I play 5 string banjo' T-shirt

If we get more pictures and video's I'll post them here.

Last but not least, we were ably assisted on site by members of MFC 'The Bloobirds' from Dover.
'All' we had to do was taking control of the model and landing it, they made it possible for us to concentrate on that task. We owe them big time.

Bruno
Last edited by F2B on 11 Apr 2018, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
F2B or not to be....
Wayne_H

Re: Channel Crossing 2018 (Completed!)

Post by Wayne_H »

well done to all !!
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
F2B

Re: Flying across the sea: Calais-Dover v.v. 2018

Post by F2B »

Thank you! I'll pass this on to my fellow team mates.
After inspection there was still 1 liter of fuel left in the tank, so we have no idea as yet why the engine quit and made us fishermen after all, 1 kilometer before concluding the return flight. :evil: ;)
Ruud, our engine man will do some thourough testing and we're keen to see those results.
We will cut him some slack here a there is always something like 'real jobs'... :mrgreen:

The planning for next year July includes taking part in the festivities around the 110 years anniversary of Bleriot's crossing.
We intend to do it again, but now with a semi scale Bleriot.
I'll keep you informed. :)
Kanaal oversteek 8-4-2018 aankomst in Dover - YouTube.mp4
Shortly before landfall.
Pilot on duty, Jan, reduces forward speed by circling and doing some nice zoomers. You can actually see that in the next picture.
(4.84 MiB) Downloaded 214 times
As seen through a 600 mm tele lens from our spot on the cliff top.<br />The black spot, just above the wake trail is what we were waiting for.
As seen through a 600 mm tele lens from our spot on the cliff top.
The black spot, just above the wake trail is what we were waiting for.
Only minutes after (dead stick!) landing, with members of MFC The Bloobirds, Dover, me in red jacket.
Only minutes after (dead stick!) landing, with members of MFC The Bloobirds, Dover, me in red jacket.
The entire crew during lunch in St Margareth-at-the-Bay
The entire crew during lunch in St Margareth-at-the-Bay
On the way back as seen from the boat
On the way back as seen from the boat
On the way back, seconds before me taking control again, switching transmitters. <br />Next to me, expedition leader Henk van Hoorn, a seasoned contest flyer as well.<br />But now for something completely different....
On the way back, seconds before me taking control again, switching transmitters.
Next to me, expedition leader Henk van Hoorn, a seasoned contest flyer as well.
But now for something completely different....
3/4 mile from the French coast the engine quit and turned us into fishermen at last. <br />But we saved her...
3/4 mile from the French coast the engine quit and turned us into fishermen at last.
But we saved her...
F2B or not to be....