Theme for 2019......

Events and news
RON
Site Admin

Re: Theme for 2019......

Post by RON »

Pylon racers sound a great option plus could be quite a laugh.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Racers sound great. I am a big fan of Ken Willard´s designs, so Top Dawg, Scorcher, Roaring 20, Gasser come to my mind.
Also Sterling´s Cosmic Wind, Howard McEntee´s Minnie, Minnie Most or Leastie Beastie, Owen Kampen´s Rivets are all great choices.

I also would love a converted rubber powered stick and tissue model as a theme.

Frank
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I too like the idea of Pylon Racers...... 'Good fun models and there would certainly be plenty of designs to choose from. However before we get too carried away, perhaps we need to think about what kind of event we want to run with these models........ A Pylon Race takes quite a lot of organising and "infrastructure" in the form of Pylons, flags and flagmen, not to mention the fact that nobody else could fly while it is happening. If there is a good response would we need to run Heats and a Final? I think maybe such "discipline" is not quite what the Ponte event is all about :? ???
Paul
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

As it is unlikely that I will manage to get over to Ponty in 2019, much as I would like to, maybe I shouldn't be making suggestions - but I will!

The "pylon racer" idea is quite appealing, but here are a few other thoughts.

(a) If it is to be another "mystery model" type choice with limited building time, it would have to be something quick and preferably all sheet - one that comes to mind is Pete Holland's "Twophin"
(b) For a longer build announced with a decent lead time, a design that will result in a really useful single channel model for flying after the event as well would be a good idea - e.g. Basil Murley's "Bazz Bomb", Pete Holland's "Timber", Dave Platt's "Half Tone", Chris Foss's "Sawdust" etc.
(c) Any model originally designed for Galloping Ghost, to be flown either with original or "new age" 2.4 gig GG systems or with 2/3 channel propo. e.g. C R Ralph's "Galloper", Dave Thomas's "Gigi" bipe, Chas Riall's "Rattler", Bill Grundy's "Phleet Phoot",Loren Dietrich's "Pete N Rand", Dave Robelen's "Pipsqueak", John Ralph's "Wagtail"
(d) Any model by a classic designer selected by the organisers - take your pick, Phil Smith, Bill Dean, Albert Hatfull, Dave Platt, Bill Winter, Ken Willard etc etc.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I've just been reading RCM&E April 1966 (I'm repairing a Remcon Versatile 12 and it's got the build feature/ circuit diagram) and the full size plan feature for that month was the Metro Gnome by D.R. Mann.

It's a sweet little model spanning 17.5", built mainly from 1/16" sheet and powered by a Cox. 020. The advantage of this model is that it could use the same power setup as the Pulstar, for many of us there would be no need to buy another motor or lipo, however cheap they are. The original was controlled by both bang/bang and also a manual mark/space (ie proportional) called tick-tock (that I've never heard of or seen before) and we could have the home made proportional actuators controlling it as for the Pulstar.

The Metro Gnome is so diminutive that the plan is smaller than A3, many of us with access to an A3 printer can print the plan full size without sellotaping two A4 sheets together! I've attached a pdf of the plan and article, I assume I'm OK doing so. If you do print it, select "Actual size" and not "Fit" etc. to keep the scale correct.

If time permits, I'll knock one up for the Buckminster retro meet next month. Maybe it could be the Buckminster mass build rather than waiting for Ponty 2019?

Cheers

Mike
Attachments
MetroGnome_feature.pdf
(782.15 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
MetroGnome.pdf
(690.35 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

I like the model and copied the plan. I always have a favor for small models and I have an unused Cox TeeDee 010 laying around unimployed. Might even try to build one of those "tick-tock" systems.
Thanks for the plan Mike.

Frank
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Frank / Mike,

The tick tock actuator was usually made from an old escapement relay. Never had one myself but did see one in operation. Not very powerful though.

Shaun
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

The Metro Gnome is one I had forgotten about, well done to Mike for unearthing it, especially as it is not on Outerzone. I am wanting to build a single channel model or two next and one look at the plan was enough to enthuse me with the idea of an electric version of this especially as I have a suitable motor/ESC/lipo set up in the drawer, it is a cute little thing. We are suffering howling north-easterly winds here in S-W France which are forecast to continue for a week or more so building this should fill in time whilst no flying is possible, I have already cut the bits out and will post details under "power models" as it comes together.
Carl

Post by Carl »

glider_copter_0.jpg
I propose radio assist and have someone to volunteer being the dummy pilot.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
------------------------------------
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

My mate had a 2 seater autogyro and a solo gyro glider. We used to tow it behind an old Volvo saloon car.....Very sketchy
He flew the autogyro out of his back garden.... But it was about 7 acres so hardly postage stamp size...

Shaun.