Help Please.

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
piroflip

Help Please.

Post by piroflip »

hi all

Apologies for posting the same request again but I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Wayne very kindly replied to my first request with a possible offer of help but I want to cast my net a little wider just in case.

A few weeks ago I bought a Veron Deacon kit with all the finishing extras required, a small glow engine, and had my late dad's old RCS S/C transmitter converted to 2.4 Ghz

I stupidly thought that the "escapement switcher" that was being supplied was a fully working replacement for an old escapement. You will all know that this is not the case, it is merely a device to send pulses to operate an old style rubber band powered unit,,,,,,,,,which I do not have.

I can't find a compound escapement anywhere for love nor money.
If anybody has a fully working spare that is surplus to requirements I will pay any reasonable sum + carr up front for it.

thanks in advance

Larry
Phil_G

Re: Help Please.

Post by Phil_G »

piroflip wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 11:06 ... and had my late dad's old RCS S/C transmitter converted to 2.4 Ghz
Hi Larry, I would implore you to use a servo rather than a 50+year-old escapement, at least
for your first foray into new-age S/C. Once in flight, you cant tell the difference anyway.
These days people are very quick to jump on the litigation & compensation bandwagon
should anything go wrong - and I can almost guarantee you will have problems at some
stage with a 50-year-old escapement, with brittle 50-year-old plastic pawls.
The whole ethos of the 2.4g S/C conversion is reliability and the pleasure of flying 1960s style
with none of the associated troubles. To deliberately place a very weak link into the chain
is inviting trouble. Its your choice but I would ask you please to use a servo, maybe save the
100% authentic escapement for another day.

Cheers
Phil
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I can only second what Phil has said about using a servo........ My first two "new age" single channel models, a Veron Robot and a Sharkface both started out with escapements, I used and Elmic Commander, a Conquest and a Compact and had trouble with all of them. I had umpteen crashes due to the wrong command going in and the problem was that I never knew whether the problem was due to the escapement skipping or finger trouble on my part! Eventually I nearly decapitated someone and realised that this was not a joke so both models, and all subsequent s/c models use a servo and miraculously the unreliability has disappeared! By laying the servo on it's side you can still use a torque rod to control the rudder and from the outside, nobody will know the difference!
IMG_0060 (2).JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
If you haven't flown s/c for 50yrs, give yourself a chance and use a servo..... ;)

Paul

PS. Wanna buy three unreliable escapements?

PPS. There is very little difference in weight between modern miniature servos and an escapement, particularly if you add in the weight of the switcher unit.
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

ok guys i'm convinced,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but where do i get a single channel servo from?

does it just plug into my RX?

are they still made or are we talking about an old one.

i used to fly S/C with a servo but no longer have it.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Question: Have you got one of the encoders from Phil that goes in your Tx to provide the required pulse that emulate S/C? viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63
If so you just plug the servo(standard 9gm propo servo) into the rudder o/p of the Rx.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM3SQ1briWY
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

http://www.singlechannel.co.uk/
Have you had a read through this site? The '2.4g conversions' tab onwards are what you need to read, although the others are still interesting.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

piroflip wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 19:18 but where do i get a single channel servo from?

It is not a single channel servo, it is a perfectly normal servo. So yes, assuming you have one of Phil's single channel conversions, it just plugs into the aileron channel of your receiver and as if by magic it behaves just like an escapement.

Paul
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

jackdaw wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 22:14 Question: Have you got one of the encoders from Phil that goes in your Tx to provide the required pulse that emulate S/C? viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63
If so you just plug the servo(standard 9gm propo servo) into the rudder o/p of the Rx.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM3SQ1briWY
No, I got Mike Ridley to supply a TX conversion, a RX, and an escapement switcher.

Please don't tell me that I need a different kind of conversion to use a servo!!!!!!!!!!!!
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

PaulJ wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 22:43
piroflip wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 19:18 but where do i get a single channel servo from?

It is not a single channel servo, it is a perfectly normal servo. So yes, assuming you have one of Phil's single channel conversions, it just plugs into the aileron channel of your receiver and as if by magic it behaves just like an escapement.

Paul
I don't have one of Phil's conversions.
I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this.
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

I could not get the S/C servo conversion done for litigation reasons and am not capable of doing it myself.

Having gone the escapement switcher route I seem to have dug myself into a hole.