Help Please.

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
jackdaw

Re: Help Please.

Post by jackdaw »

It would appear that you are confusing two different systems. As I understand it you have an old Tx that has a new RF section on 2.4gHz. Nothing else in the Tx, is this correct? What type of Rx do you have? Is it a standard propo style Rx to which you then add the switcher? Or, is a 'special' Rx supplied by Mike Ridely?
Please read the links I posted to fully understand the PhilG system, which will allow you to use a modern servo. It will also allow you to use an old style escapement via channel 4 op of a propo Rx using the switcher unit you already have.
Go to this site http://www.singlechannel.co.uk/
Click on the 'Archive' tab and down load " P1] The Single Channel Emulation Encoder documentation, as used in the featured 2.4g S/C sets "
Thoroughly read.
I'm not sure what Mike Ridely has done in you Tx but I would expect it would be possible to install PhilG's emulator. This would then enable you to use a standard propo Rx and a standard propo servo(s) for the single channel functions of 'rudder', 'kick-up elevator', and 'throttle'. Plus, if you wanted to use an escapement this can be achieved by plugging your escapement switcher in to channel 4 op of the Rx.
There is little point in me re writing Phil's excellent write up of the 'Single Channel Emulation Encoder'. A thorough read of this and perhaps more detail of what you have would undoubtedly help you and the rest of us to assist you further.
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

jackdaw wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 10:17 It would appear that you are confusing two different systems. As I understand it you have an old Tx that has a new RF section on 2.4gHz. Nothing else in the Tx, is this correct? What type of Rx do you have? Is it a standard propo style Rx to which you then add the switcher? Or, is a 'special' Rx supplied by Mike Ridely?
Please read the links I posted to fully understand the PhilG system, which will allow you to use a modern servo. It will also allow you to use an old style escapement via channel 4 op of a propo Rx using the switcher unit you already have.
Go to this site http://www.singlechannel.co.uk/
Click on the 'Archive' tab and down load " P1] The Single Channel Emulation Encoder documentation, as used in the featured 2.4g S/C sets "
Thoroughly read.
I'm not sure what Mike Ridely has done in you Tx but I would expect it would be possible to install PhilG's emulator. This would then enable you to use a standard propo Rx and a standard propo servo(s) for the single channel functions of 'rudder', 'kick-up elevator', and 'throttle'. Plus, if you wanted to use an escapement this can be achieved by plugging your escapement switcher in to channel 4 op of the Rx.
There is little point in me re writing Phil's excellent write up of the 'Single Channel Emulation Encoder'. A thorough read of this and perhaps more detail of what you have would undoubtedly help you and the rest of us to assist you further.
I have a standard receiver with a plug in escapement switcher.
the switcher flashes when I press my S/C button so it's working.
I won't bore you with the reasons why buy I am not capable of doing the conversion work myself,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,no matter how easy it may seem to you guys.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Sorry to be blunt, but what is it you are looking for???
Assistance in understanding the systems and what you need to do yourself, with guidance, to end up with a reliable SC set up using modern Tx and Rx RF link and modern servo(s). Is it an intellectual hurdle you need to overcome or a physical one or both.
OR
Some one to take your equipment, do the work and return to you a working, reliable outfit using modern items? In effect a plug-and-play solution. Nothing wrong with this approach if this is what you want and are prepared to pay some one.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

You could use this device made by PhilG after your 'escapement switcher' as supplied by Mike Ridley to operate up to 3 modern servos as if they were escapements. Its for use on a SC set when an escapement is no longer available and allows the use of modern servos instead
Down load this " P5] The 'Full-House' Single Channel Actuator Emulator documentation " from the 'archive' tab on the site http://www.singlechannel.co.uk/. The documentation details a unit that converts relay 'makes' and 'breaks' into a suitable pulse stream that can then be supplied to up to 3 modern micro servos making them behave as if they were an escapement. This all assumes that there is not too much delay in the whole system, such that the speed of button pushes is not followed accurately. I would assume the major delay would come from Mike Ridley's switcher. You would need to contact Mike Ridley on the speed of his unit and perhaps PhilG could advise. Unfortunately I have no personal experience of this unit.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I have to apologise for the fact that in my posting above I hadn't realised that you are not using Phil's emulator. Having said that...... Why not?! ;) Where electronics is concerned I don't have a clue but, using Phil's magic gizmos and a soldering iron, I have converted several sets now. It really is very simple and it works! :o So as far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to do it any other way.
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

PaulJ wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 13:22 I have to apologise for the fact that in my posting above I hadn't realised that you are not using Phil's emulator. Having said that...... Why not?! ;) Where electronics is concerned I don't have a clue but, using Phil's magic gizmos and a soldering iron, I have converted several sets now. It really is very simple and it works! :o So as far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to do it any other way.
I asked Phil to quote me for the work but he declined for litigation reasons which I fully understand.
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

Phil_G wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 14:19 I'll have a word with Mike to see what we actually have here.
ok, thanks.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Right, just had a very nice chat with Mike Ridley and I understand now.
What you have Larry is a simple remote 2.4ghz switch, designed to operate an escapement. It uses one channel of a Frsky DHT to operate a "channel-switch" (the black blob in the video) which in turn would energise the escapement coil, like this:

So you have two choices. You can continue down the escapement path, and there are experienced escapement users here like Pete Christy and Shaun who will happily give advice.
or
I do a small airborne module which emulates a compound escapement using 1 to 3 servos (or 1 or 2 and an ESC). Here is the module connected to the relay of an old, original Macgregor S/C relay set:

Actually we can remove the need for a channel-switch too by using the DX5e escapement emulator, which is very similar in principle but plugs directly into your Frsky receiver:

Personally I would go with the escapement-emulator and servos, but have a chat with the escapement users here and decide for yourself. I've ok'd this with Mike, he's happy that we're not stepping on his toes here.
piroflip wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 14:46
PaulJ wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 13:22 ... I have converted several sets now. It really is very simple and it works! :o So as far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to do it any other way.
I asked Phil to quote me for the work but he declined for litigation reasons which I fully understand.
Just to clarify, what Larry asked for and I didnt want to do was to build a complete S/C transmitter-receiver system for him. I had explained that I was happy to supply an encoder, ready-built & tested, and that its very easy to DIY, being almost plug & play. Many have done it as their first ever electronics project.

Cheers
Phil
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

Phil_G wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 14:19 I'll have a word with Mike to see what we actually have here.
piroflip wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 14:46 ok, thanks.
Phil_G wrote: I do a small airborne module which emulates a compound escapement using 1 to 3 servos (or 1 or 2 and an ESC). Here is the module connected to the relay of an old, original Macgregor S/C relay set:
Is this plug and play?
that's the only sort of work that I can cope with as I'm Aspergers (a mild form of Autism).
I can't cope with anything technical at all.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

It is Larry, it has one plug into your receiver, and three headers for up to 3 servos.
For S/C with an IC engine you'd probably just use one servo, rudder-only.
If you decide to go that way, email me & we'll sort it out.
Meanwhile have a look at the document, its item P5 on the Archive page of http://www.singlechannel.co.uk

Email is philg@talk21.com

Cheers
Phil