DC Needle valves wanted

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
Stew

DC Needle valves wanted

Post by Stew »

Hi all.
I'm after a needle valve for a DC Merlin, and a DC Wasp.
If anyone has some they'd be happy to part with I'd be very grateful

Many thanks

Stew.
PaulJ

Re: DC Needle valves wanted

Post by PaulJ »

I have used these a couple of times.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/model-aircra ... SwfVhaRSPC

They are not particularly well made but they do work OK and will get you up and running until you find the genuine article.

Paul
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thanks Paul. I got one. Fits a treat.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Well, that lasted 2 minutes before it fell to bits. Anyone got any DC needle valves? lol :roll:
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Oh...... :( Sorry to hear that. I have had two of them and they both lasted longer than that...... I over-tightened one and it broke at the hole. As you will have seen, the spraybar is only made from copper tube which is very soft and not really up to the job (I don't know why he doesn't use brass tube)....... I still have the other . Where did yours fall to bits? I suggest you complain and if he doesn't give you another, leave negative feedback.

Paul
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi there Paul.
The ally part came loose straight away, so the needle was then floating free, and then when I tried to tighten the spray bar it broke at the hole...! I wasn't going any harder than I would have with the original gear. i.e very very careful.
I did think at the time that copper was a bad idea. I think the ally part, (don't know what the proper name is, I think it may be thimble?) should be brass, then you could at least solder it to the steel needle.
I think I may have a go at making the part myself, it doesn't look too hard. It's a basic machining job, for someone with a lathe! but the thing is..can I be bothered in this heat! man I feel so listless! Flying is a summer pleasure, but repairing is for winter I think. I wonder if a PAW item might fit? I'm not bothered about originality and resale value as the engine is a 1970 motor according to the receipt and well worn, but it's still use-able so I'm reluctant to retire it. A new replacement motor, perhaps a Red Fin, is £80 and It's just to go in a purely free-flight Veron Cardinal. I've not even fitted a DT hence the old Merlin. It's ideal for Old Warden pootling.