RCMW DIY Multi Output Charger

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
Igull

RCMW DIY Multi Output Charger

Post by Igull »

Hi All
I'm hoping there may be a geriatric or two that might have a copy of Radio Control Model World - I'm fairly certain it was one of the first 4 or 5 in 1984 - it had a multi ouput nicad charger in it (4xRx, 2xTx at 9.6v'ish).
I just need a scan of the article. I built one at the time and have used it nearly every week for the last xxx years :-)
I'd like to build another, but can't face tracing out the veroboard - I even wound the mains transformer from an RS transformer kit at the time. There was nothing smart about it, but it used raw dc - absolutely no fancy regulators - or even capacitors :-) I'm certain that simple design kept my nicads in great shape (I even still use one of them on my faithful servo tester - yes, the dreaded Maplin one LOL :lol: )
I've searched all the mag covers I can find online, but don't see it.
TIA
Cheers
Neil
Shaun

Re: RCMW DIY Multi Output Charger

Post by Shaun »

I'll should be able to sort I have most of the early ones.

Shaun.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Anyone still using NiCd or NiMh cells may find the attached essay from our Club Newsletter of interest.
Burst Charging.RTF
(38.88 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
I have been "Burst-charging" several sets of AA and AAA-type cells now for over 10 years and have seen no adverse effects. Notwithstanding that, most of my recent setups are now powered via BEC from the drive LiPo or, on IC models, 2S LiFe battery with a voltage-dropping diode for older Rx or servos that are ununhappy at the full 2S voltage.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Neil,
Just looked thru the first years worth and the only project charger I can find is a 12v field charger ( a Century Systems design) giving one tx and one rx output. It was in the first issue..

Shaun
Igull

Post by Igull »

Shaun wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 17:14 Just looked thru the first years worth and the only project charger I can find is a 12v field charger ( a Century Systems design) giving one tx and one rx output. It was in the first issue..
Mmm, thanks a lot for that Shaun - I knew it would be a geriatric that answered my call :lol: - I know of the field charger, it's not that one.
Maybe it was a RCMW special mag - in my mind :roll: , it was definitely in the first few issues of RCMW - I'm probably wrong of course. I don't think it was advertised on the front cover if memory serves. Only had a multi winding transformer, a handful of diodes/resistors and some LEDs.
It's not rocket science, I could spend an hour, but I'd like to have the article.
I ran out of garage space and ditched all my RCMW a number of years ago - still have a number of silent flight/QFI etc but that's it - oh, also an aeromodeller of my birthday month LOL - still to be mounted in a frame in the workshop :lol:
Cheers
Neil
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I'll dig some more out for you Neil.

Cheers,

Shaun
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Sounds like it was just 2 wirewounds lol :D

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Is this what you mean? If it is you're only a year or so out...

Neils_Geriatric_Charger_P01.jpg
Neils_Geriatric_Charger_P02.jpg
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Terrible and / or ugly could also be good and / or beautifully if they just are it a lot! :roll:
Cheers,

Tobe
Igull

Post by Igull »

Mike_K wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 11:17 Is this what you mean? If it is you're only a year or so out...
Brilliant Mike - thanks !

I knew I was close on the year :oops: But at least I was right about RCMW :lol:

It may not look much, but it has proven it's worth over the last 33 yrs. It is a known fact that using raw DC to charge nicads cleared the dreaded dendrite growth problem (not sure if the same can be said for NiMh - different chemistry). Can't ever recollect having a NiCd battery problem - and certainly no black wire issues (but let's not get into that can of worms :roll: ).

Cheers and thanks again Mike

Neil