Wanted V8 diy module

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
RON
Site Admin

Wanted V8 diy module

Post by RON »

Does anyone have a New V8 DIY RF module they would like to sell me please.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Mike_K

Re: Wanted V8 diy module

Post by Mike_K »

Sorry Ron, you had my last one a while back.

But if you take a DHT module, de-solder the telemetry connector and re heat-shrink the pcb, it is within 1mm of the size of the V8 in all dimensions. Is your matchbox that tight for space?! I would normally offer to de-solder the connector for people as most are nervous of doing it, but I know your soldering skills are better than mine, so you'd find it really quite easy.

And the new V8 and D8 FrSky Rx auto-senses the protocol of the DHT and will work with either type, so you don't need the three position toggle switch, saving a bit more space.

But I'll ask around my friends to see if any has a transmitter with a V8 in it, that they'd be happy for me to swap over with a DHT.

Cheers

Mike
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks Mike
I prefer the V8. It mounts so much neater.

Ron.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Ron

With the telemetry connector removed, the 3 position toggle switch wiring removed and then re heat-shrinked, a DHT looks the same as a V8-HT. If it wasn't for the label you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart without a close look. In fact with our label making ability (thanks for the tutorial Ron!), you could print a V8 label and nobody would know the difference.

Honestly it is just as easy to mount as a V8, because you make the DHT the same as a V8. I'll modify a DHT this weekend and post it to you next week (we still have 3 inches of snow laying and I won't be going into town today). Anywhere a V8 will fit the DHT will fit just as nicely. And you have the advantage of it working with V8 and D8 Rx.

Cheers

Mike
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks for that Mike,
All the v8s I've seen are quite a bit smaller than the D series versions, plus they are double sided where the V8s are single sided

Ron