Microtrol wanted.

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
Stew

Re: Microtrol wanted.

Post by Stew »

It's the circuit boards in that transmitter and receiver which I'm keen to replicate.
Oddly enough I've never had a problem with switching between modes. I think it's a throwback from fullsize flying where as a student I sat on the left, and then as an instructor I sat on the right. Given the choice now I still sit on the right hand side, though both feel equally natural.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Stew

The Microtrol transmitter in my collection (not made by me) is very homemade, it's housed in an electrical adaptable box, Bonner joysticks and the meter is switchable for rf and battery. While Shaun's is built from a kit from one of the many suppliers, Mike Newell's own transmitter in the book had Kraft sticks and his transmitter used for his Moonprobe (Radio Modeller April 1969) had OS/World Engine sticks, so there is no "fixed" Microtrol design.

You should be able to make something similar yourself, most of the components used in the Microtrol can still be found if you look hard enough, so if you can get the circuit board made, you should be able to populate it.

There were at least four editions of Paul Newell's book "Theory and Practice of Model Radio Control", 1st edition 1972, 2nd edition 1974, 3rd edition 1977 and the 4th edition 1981. The 4th edition had both AM and FM and 27MHz and 35MHz circuits. I'd try to use one of the circuit in the 4th edition if I were you, as the parts will be easier to find and the circuit improved over the original.

Cheers

Mike

Microtrol in Homemade Case
Microtrol in Homemade Case
Microtrol PCB
Microtrol PCB
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

The RF section looks very similar to the Radio Modeller Galloping Ghost set they published.

Shaun.
Stew

Post by Stew »

I have the 1974 edition. It's a former library book from M.I.T !