GG-Tobe

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
Tobe

GG-Tobe

Post by Tobe »

"I would like to introduce to You were we are today about the Tobe actuators for Galloping Ghost and its availability. As mentioned in several occasions the actuators are built around Phil G's impressive work creating a proper Recoder that allows to connect the actuators directly to a modern receiver. My actuators have evolved from the first prototypes to a PnP set up which make them almost as easy to install as any modern servo. You are able to see in the included pictures how the Recoder have shrank over time and is now down to just the size of the components and fits directly on the actuator.
For the time being I'm trying to keep both the Adams clone and the GG-Tobe in stock and the actuators can be shipped as PnP or just bare. The PnP actuators have a built in Phil G's recoder and are designed to run on 5-6 volt that allows them to directly to plug in to almost any modern receiver.
Both actuators are not really suitable for a direct replacement in old equipment as the original ones were running on 2,4 -3,6 volt.
Of course You can still get the bare actuators from me if You already have a decoder from Phil, are planning to order them from him or have any other idea in mind.
The price for the PnP set are: $ 65 S&H included for the GG-Tobe and $ 45 S&H included for the Adam Clone. The bare actuators are minus $ 20.
The rudder and elevator plates for the GG-Tobe are directly compatible with those in the old Rand's and are available as well if You need spares.
The "loose " recoder is only included in the picture to show the new size as it's already included/built in in the PnP actuators.
Please PM me for any additional information You would like to have

Cheers

Tobe"
Attachments
GG Pnp.png
GG Pnp.png (115.21 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Cheers,

Tobe
RON
Site Admin

Re: GG-Tobe

Post by RON »

Very good post Tobe
Keep em coming.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Here's an excellent demonstration of the actuator in action, video by Otto (check his channel!)

I should add that Tobe's build of the recoder, as fitted to his P'n'P actuators, is much neater than mine, so small that it integrates into the actuator itself. Very neat!
chlluk

Post by chlluk »

Hi Tobe
I have come on to the main site to contact you as I do not think the PM service is working.
I have sent my request and address twice now by PM .
I will check again later to see if you have had my details.
Clive
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Sent also info to Your PayPal email

Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Re: GG-Tobe set up hints

Post by Tobe »

Here a few hints concerning the installation and set up of the actuator GG-Tobe PnP
3 leads connector should be connected to the aileron and the single lead to elevator. After You have done it you might have to follow this set up:
The recoder design is such that all adjustments if required would be done at the transmitter using travel volume, in fact the best way to set it up is to program elevator and throttle to very low travel. Then, with the sticks at neutral and with the linkages made and the surfaces flapping (only slightly at this stage), increase the elevator throw to give a rapid oscillation and just a few degrees of rotary movement on 'down' and maybe 240 degrees of rotary movement on 'up'. Then rudder travel volume is increased so that at full 'up' elevator and full rudder, the Rand is just short of cycling - ie it shouldn't ever fully rotate. GG is by its very nature a compromise, so some adjustment for best effect will be necessary - always aiming for as much movement as possible whilst avoiding 'cycling' on full throws.
In most cases You don't have to do anything as the actuator should fully work out of the box but some radios.
The actuator current draw is in the range of 100mA depending on how smooth your linkage is. I would recommend a BEC set at 5,2 - 5.4 V for constant voltage as the GG Actuators are voltage sensitive. As voltage drops, the throws diminish which also calls for "up" trim inputs on the elevator.

The voltage range for the GG-Tobe is 4.8 V -6.0 v.

I wouldn't recommend to reverse elevator in the transmitter due of the design of the "Rands style actuator" thus a mechanical reversing is to prefer.
There are several reasons:
If the actuator stops working you would have full up instead of down
As per design the actuator have more up then down in its original configuration
Last but not least you would have down instead of up when giving rudder.

...there was a "school" to fly reversed as it was considered to get a more "proportional elevator " on "high pulse" but I personally would not recommend it!

In this case a small bellcrank would do the trick and it was quite common in the old days.
Cheers,

Tobe
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Tobe, in the notes for the original Rand it makes the point that the unit should be mounted on rubber mounts to avoid vibration. The model I have built for your actuator will be powered by a PAW 1.49 diesel and there is no provision for rubber grommets on the actuator itself so how important is vibration prevention with your "modern" unit?

Paul
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Vibration are always a concern particularly if you fly IC/Diesel. You will have to mount the actuator to a regular plate which then is equipped with grommets like it was done on the original Rand. I don't have made any specific plates as one in 1/16 plywood is probably the easiest one.
Attachments
rand-galloping-ghost.jpg
rand-galloping-ghost.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I just used a couple of thicknesses of double sided servo tape under the Tobe Rand, than used screws only just tightened to slightly compress the tape on to the mounting plate...

Other option is you can buy small soft o-rings from Hobbyking used for mounting multi rotor flight controllers on..

Shaun
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks both. 'Not a big deal but I fear a slight rethink is needed....... I think I had hoped that modern electronics were immune to problems of the past like vibration! The model isn't quite finished yet but I thought I had finished the installation. I had mounted the Rand on a 1/8" ply plate which in turn was screwed to rails on the fuselage sides. I have now ordered some 1/16" epoxy/glass sheet and rubber grommets and will remake the plate.

Paul