Hello all

Anything you like!
Stew

Hello all

Post by Stew »

Hi everyone. Just registered and thought I'd say hi and write a bit about what I'm up to.
I fly (not as regularly as I'd like) with Newton Aycliffe Model Flying Club, and I'm also a member of SAM1066, as I like the old vintage rubber stuff, despite being a nipper of only 44. I started dabbling in radio control in the 80's with buggies, using a 27Mhz Acoms, before getting into control line flying, but I got back into model aircraft in 2011 with the ubiquitous Spektrum DX6i, building and flying power free flight models with rudder only control.
I discovered the button pressing world after contacting Phil G for an RDT trip for my vintage rubber jobs, and soon ordered a single channel emulator board. I've had a few more from Phil since then, and I have become a big fan of 'Mode Zero' control.
I find I still have the need to do a little propo flying too, even though it's overkill for most of my models, so I'm currently refurbishing and converting an old Skyleader Clubman, into which I'm putting an Arduino. I might need some assistance with the finer points of this as I'm new to Arduino.
In the future I'd like to build a model for pulse proportional control, and also construct some old transmitters and receivers from the old articles, just as an interesting project and a learning experience. The vintage radio bug has bitten hard it seems.
I have been going to the events at Ponty since the 2nd one, although I've only been a spectator so far. (No 'A' licence).
I'm still so amazed at how the retro radio and button pushing movement has rejuvenated the hobby for so many people, and just how friendly and helpful you all are.

Happy days indeed.

Stew.
_AL_

Re: Hello all

Post by _AL_ »

Welcome aboard.

Al who is also 44 for just a little while longer....
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Welcome to the forum Stew.
Thanks for your intro post.
Your not that far from me, I’m over in Guisborough.
Hope to bump into you at ponty.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Stew

Post by Stew »

Cheers chaps, very happy to be here. I've spent an extremely enjoyable few hours today soldering wires to various bits and bobs inside my Skyleader Tx, and it's been great to have solder fumes in one's nostrils again, and see my bench covered in components. I'm a born tinkerer, and I find real relaxation doing such things.

Ron, there's several people I must introduce myself to at Ponty, and you are on my radar. I work for Cleveland Fire Brigade, so I often get to Guisborough, Saltburn, Loftus etc. Some nice hills in them parts!
I have mild Aspergers, so I'm naturally pretty shy and I tend to avoid making myself known (although I readily chat away if introduced), but talking about models always bring me out of my shell.
I think that's why I find the people involved in this hobby in general, and this branch in particular are so welcoming and friendly, we're all old school, soldering iron wielding, back room tinkering hobby people, and happy to share information, which I wholeheartedly believe in.
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks Stew

Looking forward to it.

Yes there are some really nice sloping sites around this area. All we need is the warm weather to come back.

It’s one of the main reasons I go to ponty, just for the crack and meeting friendly fellow modellers. Flying comes second.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Mosfets

Post by Mosfets »

Welcome to the group Stew.

My first (and only conversion thus far) was a Skyleader Clubman, I am sure you will enjoy the process and feel the sense of achievement when it all works.

Keep us posted on how it progresses.

Ade