Went Flying Today

Anything you like!
Carl

Re: Went Flying Today

Post by Carl »

My Mattel equipped Pulstar flies :D :D :D :D :D

Took the plunge today and flew my original Pulstar that quickly came to an abrupt end :oops:

The only issue is I'm fighting to get it to turn right. Shaun has said I most probably need to add some right thrust, which must be the case as it just wants to pull left all the time. I'll sort that for next time - thanks Shaun.

So the short video clip shows quite a good flight. Power set to 80% and timer for 40 seconds - you may remember the little motor timer I built since the Mattel transmitter is rudder only control. It was very strange launching the model with no control over the motor :o

Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Hey Carl, congratulations on the steady progress - perseverance does indeed pay off ;)

The day we stop learning is the day we stop breathing, and I've still got a lot to learn :lol: !
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks Wayne. It was easier learning to drive and ride a motorcycle, but I was only 17 :lol:
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

In common with most of Europe, in S-W France we have been sizzling in a heat wave all week - not as bad as Spain but still afternoon temperatures up in the mid to high thirties which, as far as I am concerned, precludes any activity except cowering in the house with shutters closed and fans on. The last couple of hours before dark are better, but by that time I am too fagged out by the heat to raise the energy to go flying. So I tried a different approach this (Sunday) morning and was on the 10 minute drive up to the field in Vayres (https://www.ma-db.com/airfield/10173) by 7 a.m as the sun rose, with a boot full of rudder only and lightweight RET models. It was still blessedly cool, welcome after trying to get to sleep at midnight in 25 degrees, and glassy calm. Enjoyed a couple of flights each with the Metro Gnome
IMG_4302.JPG
and Frog Witch using the Macgregor S/C Tx
W3.jpg
A lengthy soaring flight with
the Tarquin
T36.jpg
T36.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
and three with one of my favourites, the George Woolls "La Paloma"
LP1.jpg
I also had the Rubberdub with me
Rub35.jpg
But it wasn't flown as in a senior moment I had left the all moving tailplane halves in the workshop!
Back home at 9:30 for a bacon sandwich, coffee and pain au raisen. What a nice way to start the day, and wise as now (12:30) it is already up to 29 degrees and climbing.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Well, it did get up to 36 degrees by 3 pm, but it was down to bearable levels by 7:30 so I dashed up for another ssession, 2 more flights each with the Metro Gnome and La Paloma and three with the aileron Widgeon. Drove home in the dark happy with 14 flights in the day.
Attachments
W76.jpg
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Me and our Oliver went flying yesterday. Newcastle to Heathrow :D
British Airways Airbus A321
Managed to get him a sit in the cockpit.

Ron
3515F508-E055-47A0-8563-39413EDD7035.jpg
CB8B54EF-93E8-49EC-8B85-48CA1A481BDD.jpg
B63C44B8-FE89-4F07-9A81-3A3E0E51EA2D.jpg
F6C1FAA0-860A-4349-B767-45281A287D1E.jpg
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sundancer wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 11:45 I also had the Rubberdub with me

But it wasn't flown as in a senior moment I had left the all moving tailplane halves in the workshop!
Any chance of seeing the all moving tailplane on the Rubberdub? Heard about them so it would be interesting see this one.
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

I'll do my best Carl, via some photos.
First stage of building:
Rub2.jpg
Second stage:
Rub3.jpg
Halves separated:
Rub5.jpg
And joiners inserted:
Rub6.jpg
Note that the centre section is cut away at the rear actuating rod position to allow movement AFTER it has been assembled to the fuselage. The actuating crank is custom cut from 1/16" GF board. Finished assembly on fuselage:
Rub22.jpg
Showing up and down movement - note MUCH less than this is used in practice:
Rub28.jpg
Rub29.jpg
Finished job:
Rub44.jpg
Hope you can make all that out! If not clear, say so and I will try a written explanation!
Carl

Post by Carl »

That's great a good example of how pictures can explain something really well. Thanks Sundancer. A really neat way to add elevator on a model with a built up tailpalne.

Just one question - are the two halves held in position by friction?
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Yes Carl, I just bend the wires VERY slightly so that you have to spring them to fit the tail, the friction is then quite sufficient to stop the tail halves moving. Here is the same sort of set-up on my electrified Lulu II soarer, in this case the tailplane had to be raised slightly from the F/F version.
Lulu17.jpg
Lulu18.jpg
Lulu19.jpg
Lulu20.jpg