Went Flying Today

Anything you like!
Carl

Re: Went Flying Today

Post by Carl »

Flew my little Pageboy again today. Really starting to get the hang of it now :). Getting the feel for how long to hold rudder left or right. And thanks to Shaun, Paul and Ron I see the effect of waggling the rudder a couple times to get the nose up to gain lift and just before landing. My action cam still locking in video mode, but it can be set to take still images every 1,3,5 etc seconds, so I set it to 5 seconds and left it on my cap and managed to get a few - they're not great as I set the zoom (not optical) right in, otherwise the Pageboy would just be a speck.

FILE0099.JPG
FILE0141.JPG
FILE0283.JPG

What I now need to do is try to keep it flying in a smaller area - after all it is only 15" span!

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Back out with the Pageboy again today. Was a little breezy and found it a little difficult to control - good fun though but meant I wasn't able to practice anything meaningful. With my action camera I forgot to set it on full telephoto (it defaults to wide angle on switch on) but it actually managed to capture a few nice images. This time it was taking an image every 2 seconds.

FILE0480.JPG
FILE0545.JPG
FILE0561.JPG

In the green Safeway box is my Pulstar, and as it was quite breezy I thought I'd give it a go. I'll put my experience with it in the Flying Pulstar thread.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Looks like a top day of flying.

Al
Mosfets

Post by Mosfets »

You got some nice shots there.

I know each Pageboy may be different but what throttle setting do you find best suits the plane? I would like to set my mid point and your experience might help me for my eventual maiden flight.

Regards
Ade
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ade, I've added some info in the Pageboy thread. Hope it helps.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Had an enjoyable hour flying today :D

Over the past couple of weeks I've learnt a lot about trimming model aeroplanes (thanks Shaun) and made a couple of thrust adjustments to what I've been flying.

Firstly I've reduced the amount of down thrust on the Pageboy as I wasn't getting much climb. This was much better today, but the propeller broke just after a couple of flights and didn't have a spare with me. I could see it was going to break as the rubber grommet was pulling one of the blades back a little and could see it was fracturing at the point it joins the hub. Anyhow the two flights were positive :)

Secondly, I needed to do the opposite with the Pulstar and add some more down thrust - I ended up adding even more down thrust at my flying slight :o Fortunately I filed a little groove in the top of the nose of the fuselage just in case I needed more down thrust and therefore the propeller would hit the fuselage. It has a lovely glide, so today I spent some time launching it from the top of the slope with just a very small amount of power, and it would float away beautifully, then just gently increasing power gave a nice climb. I just enjoyed launching it like this, bringing it round and landing. I learnt so much today and doing so much better keeping the model within a smaller area. I didn't do so much walking retrieving it each time it came down. I hope to try my Mattel equipped Pulstar soon as I'm gaining confidence.

What a pleasant way to spend an hour.
What a pleasant way to spend an hour.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Scott Todd

Post by Scott Todd »

Played with some S/C emulation. 30's vintage Commodore flew on one of the Krafts. The other three radios flew some small 3ch foamies. All are running Phil's code on Arduino variants.
Attachments
IMG_8783(1).jpg
Carl

Post by Carl »

That's a nice selection of transmitters. I have one of those Aero Sport Two transmitters which I will be converting along with a few other single stick 2-channel transmitters I've accumulated. These will be for my RO or RE gliders. I have a couple of gliders I'm getting ready for flight soon. My thinking is that if I get use to Rudder and Elevator on one stick, it'll make it easier when I attempt flight of a powered RE model. I've so far only flown Rudder only.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Scott Todd

Post by Scott Todd »

I like the single stick 2 's and 3's. I don't know why, I just always had a thing for them. These all have Arduino's and 2.4 modules. Some are DSM and some are FrSky.

The black Aero Sport and brown Futaba are the second ones of those I did. I gave the first ones to friends. I replaced the right stick assembly to a two-axis one on the gold Futaba in the back.

Which ones do you have? I'm always looking for stuff I don't have. I'm willing to trade or help with conversions for new stuff :)

Scott
Attachments
IMG_8790.jpg
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Thats a really nice bunch of trannies there Scott
Scott Todd wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 20:51 Some are DSM and some are FrSky
Cue timely reminder for those of us who use a mix of Orange and Frsky etc:

sma_rpsma_aerials.jpg

Frsky is like the Spekky DM8 in the lower pic Whatever you do, dont mix the aerials up!!!
A Frsky aerial will fit an Orange module perfectly, but will not connect :?

Cheers
Phil