Went Flying Today

Anything you like!
Sundancer

Re: Went Flying Today

Post by Sundancer »

Had another evening session yesterday again in beautiful calm conditions after the heat of the day. Some lovely flying with the Rubberdub (having remembered the tailplane this time!), Tom Tit X2, Lulu II and the scaled up Earl Stahl Interstate Cadet
IS35.jpg
IS35.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
I was enjoying the last flight of the day with this as dusk started to fall at 9:15 when, without warning, the field was invaded by a swarm of flying ants which, probably because I was the only one wearing a white T-shirt and hat, descended mostly on me rendering concentration on flying somewhat difficult! Fortunately my French friends rushed to my aid, brushed me down and changed my hat for a dark one enabling me to get the Cadet back on the runway in good order - but that, in any case, was the end of flying for the evening, and packing the models away was accompanied by much arm waving and scratching!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sundancer wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 07:11 Yes Carl, I just bend the wires VERY slightly so that you have to spring them to fit the tail, the friction is then quite sufficient to stop the tail halves moving. Here is the same sort of set-up on my electrified Lulu II soarer, in this case the tailplane had to be raised slightly from the F/F version.
Thanks for the extra images and info. I can see myself using a similar setup on a couple of projects I have in mind. Glad you got some good flying in - but not the flying ants :shock: Horse flies have had a few goes at me but I'm on a med that just happens to reduce the effect :)
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Enjoyed a fantastic session of flying today :D

It was quite windy, and in the past I wouldn't have been able to fly. But today with all the recent practice and guidance from many on this forum I was able to enjoy lots of good flights :D

For my Mattel equipped Pulstar I added some right thrust and the control was great on the power - you may remember last week I was fighting to make right turns. On the glide though I definitely need more rudder as the turns are very slow, so I'll sort that out for next time. But overall very happy with it's performance today :D

The first flight on the following video link was funny, as it was only a 20 second powered flight, but trying to come round behind to land it overshot and continued to glide and even gain some lift resulting in a 40 second glide :o

Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Before my Mattel Pulstar I also flew the servo operated version yesterday. Previously I wouldn't have been able to fly in the strength of breeze experienced. I added a little bit of packing above the trailing edge of the tailplane to add a little down elevation and found 1/16" piece was just right for the conditions. The flights in the video clip were with very little motor power and I really enjoyed hovering the Pulstar :D

Carl

STILL LEARNING
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

The cliff edge and blunderbird are calling.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Shaun wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 14:28 The cliff edge and blunderbird are calling.
Yes I was up there thinking I have to go for it in the next couple of weeks, but maybe not with the Blunderbird yet :?
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Shaun wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 14:28 The cliff edge and blunderbird are calling.
I think I can hear it calling from here :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

I went for a quick fly today.

Wandered over to pick up the wing (in a bit of a daydream) and almost trod on this :o
snake.jpg
Richard
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Dugite? He looks less than impressed!
Gary
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Yep a Dugite, he looked a bit agro, so thought I'd retreat and wait till he nicked off before recovering the wing.

camera on the wing also spotted him:

snake 2.JPG
Richard