Went Flying Today

Anything you like!
Carl

Went Flying Today

Post by Carl »

On the old forum there was a thread for when any of us went flying. Being a newbie I never got to add anything, but today being a lovely calm day down here in the South West corner that I took my Pageboy out for a flight. I had tried before (this was late last year) in an area opposite where I live, but felt I needed to learn flying where there was more space. This I did today :D and so thought I'd restart a thread for when any go flying.

I class this as my first bit of proper flying and enjoyed every moment. The Pageboy was a delight to fly - steady and slow. The small rudder movement was just right for gentle turns. I applied a suggestion I remember from Martin to imagine turns in the shape of a 50 pence coin and it worked just as he described. :D I used a propo set but simply dabbed left or right as if I was button pushing. So it's time for me to get one of my acquired s/c sets converted and progress onto button control.

For landing I eased of the power and it would gradually come down again. Is there any control tips to make landings a little more gentle? The Pageboy being so little and light it's not a problem, but I will want to progress onto a few larger rudder only models I've built and feel it a good idea practice better landing technique with the Pageboy before then.

The only disappointment about today was that my little video camera that I mount on my cap locked up during recording and none of the buttons worked. I had to take out the battery and reinsert it, but the file created is invalid. I guess the file wasn't closed properly and is unreadable now. Never happened before. Never mind.

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Carl

Re: Went Flying Today

Post by Carl »

It wasn't today but Monday that I popped out to do a little flying. As I'm still learning I flew the Pageboy. Great fun :D The breeze was a little stronger this time and it was funny launching into the breeze as it seemed to gain lift so easily that it went up almost vertically with little forward progress, and then turning away from the breeze it quickly gained speed.

My landings still need improvement, so any guidance would be appreciated. My Pageboy is rudder only.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Carl, if you haven't discovered it already, waggling the rudder right/left/right/left etc. will cause the model to raise it's nose and this can be used to reduce the rate of descent prior to landing...... or at any other time. You will have to experiment as to how much waggling and how rapid is needed for your model but ususally one or two waggles is enough......... Good Luck!

Paul
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks Paul. I'll practice that next time I go flying.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Hi Carl,
I always trim my models with a very slight left turn, this makes it really easy to control on the button as all you need to do is give it the occasional 1 blip (right) to keep it in the circuit, to make it turn left just leave it alone.
This is a great setup for when your just learning the button in my opinion. I know a few people that will disagree with me on this but that’s my take on it. Eric Clutton the guy that designed the sharkface always had his models trimmed like this too so I believe.
You can always trim it like this for initial flights until you get the feel of it then put the rudder back to the middle once confident.
It seems a lot easier to me to just have to concentrate on one button press and never really need to use 2presses.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

For some it is the first cuckoo, for others it is the first swallow but for me Summer starts with the "May Fly" at Old Warden........ 'Just had a fantastic weekend and flew all of these and have NO repairs to do! The Debutante, Wee Snifter and Magna all use different "vintage" Transmitters using Phil's modules and the other three are all freeflighters.
IMG_0475.JPG
Saturday started with grey skys and very light winds (perfect!) but rain stopped play about 2.00 pm. The freelight Poppet made yet another bid for freedom and after nearly an hour searching in the rain I thought I had lost it but some kind soul found it and handed it in so I got it back (undamaged) today! Sunday started grey with light wind and brightened up into the perfect model flying day with sunshine, fluffy white clouds and light winds........ and loads of superannuated schoolboys chucking and ducking all over the airfield. Phil ventured south for the event and it was really good to see him there! All in all a great weekend's flying. :D
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Yep had a great weekend, first w/e off in months. It was my first model-flying event at OW and a
much bigger event than I imagined. Went down Friday evening, got there quite late as they'd shut
the A1 and there was a huge circular detour Image
Almost didnt take anything to fly as I've not flown since Ponty last year & felt 'rusty' but stuffed the S/C
Poppet in 'just in case' - and had loads of great flights. Chloe had a go but kept looking down at the
tranny and then losing the model in the air. Must be a genetic defect I've passed on :D
She had two mock SAT tests to do while were there, I think its too much pressure at age 11.
The Poppet is a great model, I'd not flown it for years (since the 2012 MAA do at Flamborough) and I'd
forgotten how good it is. Met up with Paul, Mark Deans, Andy Boddo & Paul Blakeborough... and saw
a few familiar faces from a distance but didnt manage to hook up - Chris Stewart, Ali, and others.
Was fascinated by the tiny FF model jets, some with Rapier rocket motors and some micro-EDF.
I loved the apparent lack of discipline as the whole thing regulates itself, great fun and no accidents.
Thought there might be a few other singlechannellers there but they're obviously saving their energies for Ponty! Well worth the 300-mile round trip, nice campsite & I got 44mpg from the van so well pleased.
Cheers
Phil

IMG_3210.JPG
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Good to hear that at last...
Cheers,

Tobe
Scott Todd

Post by Scott Todd »

Phil, you need a 3D printed motor sticking out of that airplane :)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...3D printed motor or not the important thing is that you made it! After this winter and all the ordeals you deserved this. It's ok if Chloe forget to watch at the airplane but you should know better :roll:
See ya soon at Ponte
Cheers,

Tobe