Went Flying Today

Anything you like!
Scott Todd

Re: Went Flying Today

Post by Scott Todd »

Yes! Don't get your innies and outies mixed up ;)
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have been out a couple of times before today, but last time the wind was blowing in the wrong direction and very changeable, and the week before that the wind was in the correct direction but when I got to my site it was blowing very strong compared to home. Anyhow today was a nice breeze coming off the sea, so thought it was time to try my West Wings Merlin I built a couple of years ago. I originally intended it to be free flight, but there is absolutely no where nearby for free flight. So converted it to rudder/elevator RC.

My first build since a lad and my very first attempt at tissue covering - ever
My first build since a lad and my very first attempt at tissue covering - ever

The Merlin proved to be have a lovely glide
The Merlin proved to be have a lovely glide

Not sure whether it was just not enough breeze/wind but it would just slowly glide down the slope. Will try it again another day with similar conditions and perhaps pack the stabilizer to give a little up elevation. Still I enjoyed very much the short flights I had and it's a good way of keeping fit :D

I flew my Pulstar with my converted Waltron Mini 2 - was great to fly using something vintage - so much nicer in the hand. I was planning to use my Babcock Magic Wand too, but left the aerial at home.

I can see myself using this a lot with powered rudder only models
I can see myself using this a lot with powered rudder only models

Had some nice flights with the Pageboy too, so went home chuffed after flying three different models. Still lots to learn though.

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Well done Carl,
Waltron mini 2 is lovely.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Ron wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 21:22 Well done Carl,
Waltron mini 2 is lovely.

Ron.
and I second both Ron's "motions" :D

Top job Carl & congrats on the steady progress ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Very nice.

Al
Carl

Post by Carl »

Had my best flying session so far this morning :D

Tried to be more focused today as I last time out felt I was running ahead of myself. It was completely calm today, so I took a step back and focused on launching, gaining height and flying circuits. Had a great time. My landings still need improvement, but I'll focus on that next time.

I was able to apply what was discussed in this topic:

http://www.mode-zero.uk/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=413

Flying left and right certainly is effective in killing a stall. If I use too much power on my Pulstar it can start stalling, and this technique really does bring it back under control, and was effective in making progress into the wind too.

Thanks for your guidance and help.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Using the Windows Photos app I've put together a little video of some of my flying on Wednesday. I've basically eliminated where the models are a speck, which the Pageboy being only 15" wingspan is often a speck :lol:

It's not much as either I forgot to press record or my action cam seized a couple of times and therefore lost that bit of footage.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Wasn't today I went flying, but Thursday. Dead calm again so started of with my Pageboy, practicing landings which are getting better. What was nice seeing some swallows (or maybe swifts) come and investigate the Pageboy in flight :)

Very small on the video:

Next up was the Pulstar with which I had some great flights. The breeze was coming from a slightly different direction this time - more directly of the sea. So I flew from a different part of the slope. There were points where I was flying from left to right and back with motor about 1/3 power and could see there were points it was picking up lift. Had great fun :D Hope to fly my Mattel equiped one next time :shock:

Finally tried some test flights with the Merlin. The video clips shows it has potential if there was a little more breeze. The conditions were marginal at best, but I could see it picking up lift at various points :)

So looking forward to continuing progress. I'm glad I persevered :D

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks for your comments Phil. The location is virtually on my doorstep 8-) About 5 mins in the car, then a short walk down a private tarmacked lane, then along a public footpath, so between 10 to 15 mins.

There are lots of spots like the picture you posted and yes I'll take the plunge myself one day - probably when the tide's out so I have a chance to retrieve if it goes wrong :lol:

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

So this 'Cliff' bloke thinks he's dangerous eh? Pfft!😉