How slow do you build?

Anything you like!
Martin

How slow do you build?

Post by Martin »

I know some people, Shaun and Tobe for example, can build a model in a day or less, but how long do you take?

I'm a very slow builder. It takes me all day just to cover a model like the Pulstar using heat shrink film. Actually it takes about a day for me to cover any normal model - the small ones seem to take me just as long as the big ones. And the finish isn't wonderful. Compared to the photos of other people's models on here, mine have a very rough appearance and much simpler finishing trim - often just one colour for the whole model, or maybe just a different colour for the wing and tail.

And then it takes me maybe another half a day to install the motor, radio, linkages and wiring - for a complicated model with lots of control surfaces it would take me longer.

If I could complete a model like the Pulstar in a week or less, devoting most of my free time to the task, I would feel that I was doing very well. It usually takes me much longer than that.

Maybe if there are other slow builders like me, and we confess that in this thread, it will stop any newbie builders from feeling inadequate when they take a fortnight to build something and then read how the fast builders have made and test-flown the same model during a single lunch break. :lol:
Mosfets

Re: How slow do you build?

Post by Mosfets »

I would like to say it was the waiting for the glue to set that makes my builds long. I would like to say that but but I use superglue so cannot use that as an excuse.

I am now into the third week of building a Pageboy, it is almost finished but not as quick a build as I thought it would be.

The important thing for me is enjoying the build process and if I were to put time constraints on it, I think, for me that would detract from that. I probably spend too much time thinking about what I am about to do rather than just getting on with it. Speed will likely increase as experience grows.

Having a go and completing a flying model, no matter how long it takes, is what we ultimately aim for. For some this can be in a short time and hats off to them, but for the rest of us mere mortals do not be put off and enjoy your journey however long it takes...

Ade
Carl

Post by Carl »

Mosfets wrote: 22 May 2018, 18:39 The important thing for me is enjoying the build process and if I were to put time constraints on it, I think, for me that would detract from that. I probably spend too much time thinking about what I am about to do rather than just getting on with it. Speed will likely increase as experience grows.

Having a go and completing a flying model, no matter how long it takes, is what we ultimately aim for. For some this can be in a short time and hats off to them, but for the rest of us mere mortals do not be put off and enjoy your journey however long it takes...

Ade
I'm exactly like you Ade. I really enjoy the building side of the hobby, even cutting out the ribs, etc. I spend a huge amount of time studying the plan in advance. During the build every stage is thought out to ensure square/true structures. I'm a perfectionist and can't bring myself to saying "that'll do". I check and recheck. All of this for me means long build times. For me my Pageboy took several weeks to build and finish about a year ago. To be honest I'm not getting any quicker, as I seemed a bit slow building my Pulstar too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun!

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
------------------------------------
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Although I am actually a fast builder, it takes me long to build a model from srap. I keep every piece of balsa or plywood in two big boxes for further usage and it takes a lot of time to search for the wood I just need, but it makes building cheap. I have a lot of small models which I build from a plan almost for free by just using remains from other models or kits.
It does not matter how long you need for a new model, the clou is that you have fun building it.
A homebrew model is much more fun than an ARF foamy.

Frank
Stew

Post by Stew »

I'm so slow my models 'season' during the build. I start with building the fuselage, then it gets put away in the cupboard, gathers dust, and I may start another model, then after a while it gets pulled back out again, covered in tissue, then put away again. I can't bring myself to finish the thing until it's about at least 2 years old and has a few dings and some hangar rash. I'm the same with clothes. I'll buy them, and then put them in the wardrobe where they'll hang for a few years, then I get them tentatively back out, like a dog sniffing a familiar spot, then when I've regarded them carefully, they go away again! Eventually I'll forget them entirely, until suddenly one day I take them out wear them to death!
Yes, I have issues!

Stew.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

I build as slow as my answer to this thread.

If I build two simple, Vintage models a year then I count myself as doing bloody well. And I build all year round - no 'building season' for me!

Two particular models - an own design 40" P39 and a 48" Boddington Tiger Moth - each took me a year to build. And were both wiped out after having a single figure number of flights.

One tries to remain philosophical about these things :lol: :lol: :lol:
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

I have a model I started before my son was born, it's ready for painting and covering. My son is now 23.
Cheers,

Dave
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I have 2 build speeds.

Manic....

For the mag articles I have around 3 weeks, start to finish and that includes finishing, test flying, writing and photography ( then there are the other 2 or 3 articles I do as well). That's why wherever possible I use sanding sealer, dope and no tissue on the woodwork. Less robust but quicker. In recent builds if Carl and Tobe hadn't helped out on the balsa bashing for some models, it would have been a real stretch leaving me little free time. I also wherever possible get Neil (iGull) to cut the ribs and formers for me or used one of Leon's Belair kits.

Slow and Enjoyable...

For my bigger stuff especially 1/3rd scale WW1 models I enjoy the whole process, especially finishing and detailing and don't treat it as a job. One a year for these models..

My slowest ever build was a Wot 4....Took 25 years from start to finish and after one test flight sold it to a mate the same day. So Dave, your build time isn't that bad. :D

I'm hoping to build a 70% Hutter single seater glider this year to fly at the Euroflugtag 2019 show in Germany in about 9 months. It will be 7mtrs span but I have a few logistical things to figure out first. Number one being how to transport it , number 2 the building board.🤔

Don't stress about the build speed, just enjoy the process and flying your creation, that's what's important.

Cheers,

Shaun
Stew

Post by Stew »

I think it's all about what sort of build you're after. I've seen (and owned in several cases) models done by some of the greats, which were really thrown together to be honest. Vic Smeed is an example, but to be very fair, he was likely in a similar position to Shaun, in that an example was needed quickly for a magazine article.
John O'Donnell was another. His models were light, precise, and competition winning, but beautiful they were not.
Many of the vintage designs were from another era when people either had much more time on their hands, or weren't that bothered about the result, as it may well be lost in the next brick-lifting thermal.
There's also the internet to blame. It makes you feel worse about your own models when you can 'Google' pictures of the best examples in high definition detail. You get what you look for...
I usually take ages to build as I tend to cut my own ribs, shape my own trailing and leading edges, etc etc, but if I just want something done fast, laser cut is the way I go. (or should that be IGull...!)
No matter what or how you build, enjoy it.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Stew,
Building quick doesn't necessarily mean a crap job. It's all down to experience. It takes the same amount of time to build badly as it does accurately. Covering is a little different but again you speed up with experience and technique.
Back in the earlier black and white photo days of reviewing models in the mags build and finish quality could be rugged (I'm being kind here) but in today's mags , (especially the ones that use quality paper such as RCM&E), they demand high quality images and you couldn't get away with models that haven't been built, finished to a high standard..they wouldn't make it into print.
The reason I usually try to finish models in sanding sealer and dope is 2 fold. Firstly it shows of the quality of the woodwork and build and secondly it is quick to do using tissue or rattle can trim to complete.

But as mentioned, whatever speed you build and finish , just enjoy the whole process.

Shaun.