UK government requests feedback on future of model flying

Anything you like!
Martin

UK government requests feedback on future of model flying

Post by Martin »

It's disguised as a consultation about drones, but as the authorities are unable to define what a drone is, the new rules will apply to all model aircraft. The BMFA and other model flyer representing groups have asked for as many people as possible to fill in the on-line survey giving feedback about the new proposals.

Here are some links:

The actual survey
A document from the BMFA and others suggesting how you might respond.

It takes about half an hour to fill in the survey. It's poorly thought out and has outright mistakes in parts (confusion over 'minimum' and 'maximum' and no definition of 'model drone user' compared to 'model drone owner' or 'model drone operator' in a question that requests different answers for 'user' versus 'operator').

It's still in our interests for as many people as possible to respond - you have until early September. You can complete the survey even if you're not in the UK.
Flynn

Re: UK government requests feedback on future of model flying

Post by Flynn »

firstly, the link to the BMFA page doesn't work for me.
So..without a guiding hand I set out on my quest to fill in the survey..but it didn't go too well, I found myself skipping so many questions because I felt they were irrelevant as I had already stated I felt the requirement (for a FiNS) wouldn't work...when I received a red 'error' text and that was it....start again...... life is too short for this cobblers... sorry but there you go.

i can't see anybody taking their mobile on top of ilkley moor and getting 'permission' to fly their toy plane before lobbing it off into the ether.....

All this because they cannot make a distinction between a model aircraft flown LoS without autonomous control electronics and without a video transmitter on board and a drone flying beyond unaided visual sight with autonomous flight control and a camera. :roll:
You only ever need two tools....WD40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move when it should use the WD40 and if it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

CASA (Australia' Civil Aviation Safety Authority) is now having its go, and proposing registration of any "drone" or model aircraft weighing more than 250 grams:

https://consultation.casa.gov.au/regula ... /pp1816us/

Basically means that you will need to be registered and pay a fee (of 10 times that of other jurisdictions) to fly the likes of a GWS Slow-Stick in a local park, and likely need to be 16 years or older.
Richard
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

The French seem to be ahead of the game, requiring any unmanned remote controlled aircraft over 800 gram to be registered, and any pilot flying such aircraft as well, but separately. For this, they have a simple online test available (in French and English):

https://fox-alphatango.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/en/

I will be involved in some serious RC flying in France sometime this year, so I did the test and acquired my "Attestation". It is all based on common sense with some particulars added, for instance the height limitations in general and in the vicinity of airfields. A map of France indicating all no fly zones and those with specific height limitations is also available.

I do not have any aircraft registered as yet, but spoke to Dutch flyers who have, and they confirm it is also a simple affair requiring only a minimum of information.

All this is clearly aimed at drone flying/owning, but does include fixed wing as well.
Stew

Post by Stew »

I got out of full size flying with legislation becoming a dreadful pain in the arse, so if they think I'm registering tuppence ha'penny of balsa and rag tissue they can kiss my starboard knacker.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Stew wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 19:15...... they can kiss my starboard knacker.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: