Cropping Videos

Anything you like!
Carl

Cropping Videos

Post by Carl »

Something I've been wanting to do is crop videos, especially when recording small models with wide angle lens equipped action cams. I've been experimenting with CropiPic which is a Windows App available from the Microsoft Store. It's free but has a small watermark at the bottom which can be removed on purchase (£2.49) as well getting rid of adverts.

I took my recent Starstream video clip and the App effectively scales the video between -1.000 to +3.000, which you select with a slide scale. You then move the visible area to show the part the original to crop. I've tried a scale setting of 2.000, so this doubles the size of the model. I've found in most of my footage the model tends to be more over to the right and towards the top, so I've cropped to this area. You can play the video clip whilst making these adjustments to ensure the object remains in view. Once done you simply save the new cropped video. I selected all the highest settings offered to end up with the highest quality video.

Something that threw me at first was when opening a video clip you are presented with the opportunity the trim the start and end point first. Then you go onto the other editing options, including crop.

Here's a link to the Starstream first flight cropped.

If you compare with the previous version you'll see the model appears closer. Note I've trimmed the video also so it's simply that first flight only. The end result is surprisingly good.
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
------------------------------------
Tobe

Re: Cropping Videos

Post by Tobe »

...in one way it's a like a ducted fan with limited airflow around the tail thus the rudder responds sluggish depending on the actual speed
Cheers,

Tobe