AeroModeller Jan. 2019

Anything you like!
Tobe

AeroModeller Jan. 2019

Post by Tobe »

AeroModeller January 2019 is now available and if...it includes the story behind the recreation of the Rand Actuator that became the GG-Tobe
If you like the smell of diesel go to Holly Buddy 2,5 cc Diesel
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Re: AeroModeller Jan. 2019

Post by Shaun »

I've heard some guy from the Nordic regions who frequents our forum wrote it.

Go on, support Andrew Boddo , buy the mag.

Shaun
Last edited by Shaun on 21 Dec 2018, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

I'll look forward to reading about it in march... :roll:

Gary
Stew

Post by Stew »

I gave up on Aeromodeller a year or so ago as just a bunch of glorified glue adverts.
The final nail in the coffin was ordering 2 of the posters of vintage aeromodeller magazine covers, which I'm still waiting for many months later... Though ever the optimist, I bought Decembers edition, and found the thing literally stunk! I haven't a clue what gloss they use on that paper, but have you smelled your Aeromodeller lately?!!
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

I think maybe that is a bit harsh Stew. Although I only fly electric R/C models these days I still consider myself an aeromodeller rather than an R/C model flyer and always find something of interest in Aeromodeller, OK so it is a bit thin sometimes but given what the circulation level must be,subscription income together with the advertising revenue can't amount to a lot of income, I know Andrew has very little leeway in his editorial budget and given that fact I think he does a pretty good job. I will agree the paper isn't the best and I do wish they would stick to printing text black on white instead of using coloured backgrounds which my old eyes find challenging. But given that "general" aeromodellers are a dying breed compared to those who buy their models, I would rather see it continue than die for lack of subscribers, after all apart from the hiatus in the 90's/00's it has been part of my life for seventy-odd years, so following the demise of so many other magazines in the face of the RTF and drone revolution, I am happy to continue paying my sub.

It IS annoying that you haven't received the posters you ordered, but have you spoken to anyone and complained? On the one occasion I had a problem with my subscription I found them most helpful on the telephone in resolving the problem.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I agree, that is harsh Stew and Andrew Boddo does a sterling job as editor; paper quality is out of his hands and people drop the ball occasionally.....we're human. I'm pretty certain if you call them it will be sorted one way or another. As stated, traditional Aeromodellers are a dying breed and if it goes we won't get our literary fix anywhere else. I would happily pay more for it.

Shaun
Stew

Post by Stew »

I got the mag from when it was re-launched, and whilst OK at first, it got to the stage where I thought 'hang on, is this an article on Aeromodelling, or just another thinly disguised advert for Deluxe Materials?' and I got to noticing it more and more, until finally I gave up.
I tend to read the free publications, such as the excellent 'New Clarion' from SAM1066, which is always full of interesting content, albeit a little more free-flight competition orientated. and the Raynes Park club's 'Sticks and Tissue' is always a great read. Both of these free online publications are easily a match for Aeromodeller.
That said, there is something nice about a magazine you can actually hold, even if it does smell like a newly varnished door.
I will have a look at January's edition and see if it's enough to make me to think again. I know subscriptions are the life blood of a printed magazine, but at the moment there's just not enough to keep me coming back.
I truly hope I feel different after I've read a few more issues.