What next?

Anything you like!
Stew

What next?

Post by Stew »

Hi all.
I've been following this forum for a long while now, contributing where possible, and tentatively dipping my toe in the S/C world, but lately it seems I've become very dissilusioned with model flying, the new or pending rules and regs, and seemingly my inability to produce a model I'm happy with, to the point where I have an empty model room now. I got rid of the lot. Well...not quite. I still have a stack of balsa and some plans, glues, tissue, dope etc, but I sold or gave away the rest. I was going to go to Ponty this year, it would have been my 4th, but I am having a battle with my Autism disorder which makes me not want to go out or speak to people, or drive for any distance. I'm working on it, but it is hard going.
I love the little 'blobs and gadgets' that Phil produces, and RC fascinates me. The programming and tinkering aspect works well with my brain that craves order and lists and so on. I have either an empty room, or the ability to start again afresh, depending on your outlook.
A penny for your thoughts?
Martin

Re: What next?

Post by Martin »

You can avoid the new pending registration scheme if you keep your models below 250 grams - and that's easy to achieve with planes up to around 36-inch span providing you choose the right design and build light.

If you don't fancy building planes right now, there are several small (sub 250 gram) ready-built planes available, including foamies, that are suitable for single channel or reeds, as well as proportional.

Or you could try model boats or cars - as far as I know the government has no plans to demand that they be registered (yet).
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Hi Stew

Really sorry to hear that you are having a tough time of it right now, and that you've sort of lost your modelling mojo - at least temporarily (hopefully). I must admit, with my singular lack of success with being able to fly single channel in any way resembling anything other than 'trying to stop it crashing' I can sympathise a little! (Sorry - not trying to be flippant!). I do however, still thoroughly enjoy cutting out and glueing odd shaped pieces of balsawood together, so I'm majoring on that.

However, maybe you are already hinting at the answer in your posting? You sound like the 'deep electronics' side interests you? I'm sure that there are any number of R/C based projects that you could tinker with; and although I know less than nowt about electronics / electrics (if it doesn't have a red plug which goes into a red socket, then I'm lost), there is also this Arduino thing that people keep on about which it seems can be made to do anything from walking the dog to overthrowing a small nation - maybe something to look into?

If you have an empty room, then for sure the electronics projects won't take up as much room as a couple of models, and if you do by chance produce an R/C related thrunge retarder switch bus, then at some point you may wish to knock up a simple model to try it in? That's why I'd recommend keeping hold of the stack of balsa and other bits and bobs. By all means get shoved in a big box in the loft out of sight until then, but don't get rid!

Keep hanging round though mate !
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thank for your kind words and advice guys, much needed.
I'm looking for a house at the moment, to rent, although I'd like to buy soon, so I'm not sure how much space I will have for my hobbies. Everything is packed away for now, but hopefully before long I will have either a shed, a garage, or the corner of the kitchen table, you know how it is.
The whole thing over weight limits and drones etc. has really p****d me off. It seems no matter what hobby I pursue there's some git trying to curtail it. My dummy has landed with a big wet plop on the pavement and I'm thinking 'to hell with it' I'll build a model railway, or buy a lathe, or make retro computers, or static model boats or something...But...the model flying is deep in the veins, and I just can't seem to stop thinking about it, buying magazines, or looking at forums. Maybe I just need some time out and then a fresh start.
Stew

Post by Stew »

P.S. I wonder if control line is about to see a real explosion of interest? It's been fairly healthy for years, but now it may see a surge of converts.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Regret to inform you but, as it currently stands, control line models fall under the new proposed regs; register as an 'operator' and get a number after paying the £16.50/year, take competency test and get number as a 'flyer'. Fix both numbers to outside of all C/L planes you fly. The exemption that people talk about and confuse is operation/flying C/L under current rules within the controlled area of an airfield/airport(its bigger than the ATZ).
Stew

Post by Stew »

I think I'll wait until it all settles down. No point spending money on something that might be killed off.
If I ever manage to get close enough to a drone I'll stamp on it.
Stew

Post by Stew »

I guess there's always indoor flying? t'aint the same though...
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Indoor flying is actually pretty good, mostly old timers but you get some nice models and it’s a bit more of a challenge in my opinion.
Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Stew

Post by Stew »

Oh I have no doubt it's good, I just don't know if I'd ever have the talent. They're some boys those indoor chaps, whatever discipline it is. I actually find it all quite fascinating, but I think I'll miss the burnt diesel fuel and the blattatta blattatta of a wound back vintage diesel mode circling lazily over my head in a clear blue sky *sob*