Ad Astra

Anything you like!
Phil_G

Ad Astra

Post by Phil_G »

Went to see Ad Astra today, truly awful, dont waste your money!
Not even the subtlest nod to physics, and some laughable action scenes.
Moon pirates? really? :-)
Sneaking aboard a rocket at T-10 seconds inside its firing booster stage? :-) assuming he was superhumanly blastproof, is there even a path from inside a booster to the capsule? :lol:
Far too many "...but that wouldnt happen" moments to even concentrate
on the 'story', right from the beginning where the reason for the mission
is revealed (a typical "...but that wouldnt happen"), to the very end where Brad saves the
world (of course) by nuking an antimatter power source. On Neptune. Over four billion km away :D
You couldnt make it up. Except they did :D

Not to mention audible explosions, identical gravity on earth/the moon/mars/Lima, exploding monkeys (another "but that wouldnt happen") and laugh-out-loud surfing Neptunes asteroid belt on a bin lid.
Whoops, I mentioned all of them :D [Not all - see edit!]
Wikipedia wrote:Produced, co-written and directed by James Gray, the project was announced in early 2016, with Gray saying he wanted to feature "the most realistic depiction of space travel that's been put in a movie".
Fail :D Monumental fail :D

...and yet, you wont find a single bad review on the entire net. Weird eh? :D

You'd expect that we'd come a long way since Kubricks "2001 a space oddyssey", but no....
Cheers
Phil

Edit: It seems Astronomer Dr Andy Howell agrees - plus he spotted a few goofs I'd missed, like the fact that Neptune is well inside the heliosphere (going beyond the heliosphere was the stated reason for choosing Neptune), the silly "antimatter chain reaction" concept, and the impossibility of stopping mid-flight to check for exploding monkeys :D There are many more. Its a ridiculous film.

Heres a 'how' video, very interesting from a tech viewpoint and the CG effects etc
but also quite amusing in that they dont know what the moon's relative gravity is :lol: :lol: :lol:
Watch the whole thing but note the video narrative at 4:52 and the correction in the Youtube description:

Stew

Re: Ad Astra

Post by Stew »

I was utterly disappointed with 'First Man.' I'd not seen any flying sequences as daft since the weird and silly sound barrier effects in 'The Right Stuff' which came from a very good book...
I shall avoid Ad Astra!
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

You have time for the cinema? That's wasted workshop time :)
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Yep, I'm with you Phil. Absolute rubbish...Mars to Neptune in 79 days? That's legging it and at T minus 3 seconds he still wasn't on board the booster!?!
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...on the other side it's intended as fiction entertainment with a touch of romanticism due of the relation father/son and not to be science thus it's called "Science Fiction "
Just compare it to a James Bond movie which most of us love and enjoy its exagerations!
Most of you would probably remember 2001 Odyssey in space and its "Computer" which performed unthinkable tasks then but close to reality today like AI and much more!
Cheers,

Tobe
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

I don't know about 'that wouldn't happen' or being believable, but if you don't like this then you've only wasted 15 minutes of your life.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8LD0iUYv80