Ebay bargains & tip-offs

Anything you like!
Phil_G

Re: Ebay bargains & tip-offs

Post by Phil_G »

Phil_G wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 21:15 Has anyone tried one of these joysticks?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joystick-Pot ... 2359031421
Its arrived, that was quick! The stick is about 3/4 the size of a conventional stick, perfectly usable with stiff-ish return springs very much like early SLM sticks etc. Without the rubber dust seal its a bit smoother. No trims, well it does have rotateable pots but they're fixed with a grubscrew. A bit more neutral slop than we're used to but it doesnt move the pots. Will fit a very shallow tx case, for a tiny sports set it would be ideal. For 8 squids they're pretty good. I'm going to make a 2ch set for slope soaring that can live in the campervan :D
I've tried to unscrew the stick (to make a more portable tx) but it wont turn and I dont want to force it - I expected it would be screwed in but maybe its glued.

I've done a 2+1 encoder, optimised for this stick & using the Digispark, and derived from the Mk3 Digimac 1+1, details here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=519

Cheers
Phil
Martin

Post by Martin »

• separate trim pots?
  • modern digital trims? (two buttons per axis)
  • a single 'trim' button that remembers the current held position on the main joystick as the new 'centre'?
  • no trims at all?
All options have their pros and cons - difficult to decide which is best.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Phil

As you know I've been using an "Auto Trim" button on my encoders for a couple of years now and it works really well for me, but only in conjunction with separate trims. The switch stores the trim positions to memory so the trims can be returned to centre, so they don't mess up rates/expo and are in the centre for other model memories. The auto trim switch also works well on maiden flights where the trims are way out, to get things near trimmed. But trying to do fine trimming by just holding the stick over a little and pressing the switch is difficult.

Why don't you just use joysticks with trims from a vintage transmitter that is way beyond repair, like the old Sanwa I got today? Battery corrosion all over the circuit board, plastic case broken, yet I'm certain the joysticks will be OK as they have semi-sealed pots. I must get given half a dozen "basket case" transmitters a year by club members and friends. Do you want a pair of joysticks with mechanical trims from a Sanwa, Futaba or Hitec that are quite serviceable? It would save you messing around trying to make trims when you can use joysticks with trims.

I have used one of the joysticks to make a 2 channel single stick transmitter in a case about the size of a Micron Elf for my dlg glider that is nice and compact to take with me on my travels. I saved other joysticks with the thought to make a few more transmitters when I get some free time, which probably means they'll sit there for another year or two, so it'd be better for someone like you to use them.

Cheers

Mike.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Thanks v much Mike, but its not that I needed more sticks, like you I've loads that "might come in one day" :D
It was just curiosity when I saw these on ebay. I ordered one just to see what they are like, the lack of trims is good for a mini tranny as it makes the unit smaller & easier to panel mount Image
To be honest its better than I expected, which is why I thought maybe I might actually use this one rather than put it on the "one day..." pile with the Taranis Hall-effect sticks! (that was another thread lost in the reunited changeover... I'll see if I can resurrect it)

Hi Martin, for digi trims I usually do it by pressing a button then nudging the stick which increments/decrements trim in pip-steps... works well in practice Image
I find two buttons per axis like commercial stuff a bit too faffy to wire up in a homebrew esp if its 4 channels, and its hard to make them discreet like commercial trims...though one of mine has a mini-toggle per axis for trim ( like a reeds toggle switch but much smaller)
I tried the 'hold the stick then press to set new neutral' way and didnt like it... each to his own I spose as I know a lot of gliderists like it Image

Cheers all
Phil
PaulJ

Model storage/transport boxes

Post by PaulJ »

At this time of year B&Q stock what they call "Christmas Tree Storage Boxes" but they also make excellent model storage/transport boxes....... I bought 2 last year and have just bought another. ;)

https://www.diy.com/departments/really- ... 222_BQ.prd

Internal measurements at the bottom (slightly more at the top) are:- L-1130, W-230, H-335..... Internal height includes the deep lid.

Paul
Shaun

Bargain Frsky module plus 4 Rx's

Post by Shaun »

https://bmfa.org/class1/id/70077

For sale on the BMFA website at the moment.

Shaun
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

The FrSky Tx module and Rx's have already sold.

But while on the BMFA site I see there's a collection of old Fleet sets on the BMFA, though a bit expensive at £150.

https://bmfa.org/class1/id/70068

Mike
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

That was quick.. you snooze you loose eh!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Snap these up.. a great collections of cheap books..

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202558887162?ul_noapp=true

And a cheap MacG 2 channel Tx

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303019890837?ul_noapp=true

Shaun
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Guys,
I'm bidding on an ELF rudder only propo set on eBay for the museum collection. Let me know if you fancy it so we don't bid each other up. I would be happy to let you know my limit. Up to £39.00 already and just listed.. may go daft..

Cheers,

Shaun