Ebay bargains & tip-offs

Anything you like!
NeilMac

Re: Ebay bargains & tip-offs

Post by NeilMac »

Anyone see the orange Waltron Mini2 set up complete with box and all original packaging?

It sold for £205. :o
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yes. Amazing... Makes me want to sell mine if people want to chuck that much money at it..

Shaun.
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

I've already converted mine to 2.4 gHz. Not sure I would have wanted to sell it though... plus it's not orange.

That set looked unused, but still, two hundred quid.

Neil
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Stew

Post by Stew »

A Mick Reeves Gangster 42 kit just went for £175!! I'm sure Mick still sells those (or at least the 63" version, and he doesn't charge that price either!
Interestingly he does a great little Tomboy full kit for £30. Goes together really nicely. I'm no more than a satisfied customer btw.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I wonder if this S/C set was built by somebody on this forum? It's worth watching just for the FrSky gear alone, the module looks like the original FrSky V8-HT, that some prefer and the V8R4 are a great little receivers. And there's a Phil_G S/C encoder as well. Or use as it is for those who don't like building sets themselves.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/single-chann ... Sw4cFdh-~V

Mike
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I know the identity of "prangster2.4"....... I bought a Digimac II from him a while back and he turned out to be someone I knew (or at least, I knew his father). He runs a well known model shop and as such he will probably have bought it in from somewhere. I will message him and see if he knows anything about the background.

Paul
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

PaulJ wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 13:23 I know the identity of "prangster2.4"....... I bought a Digimac II from him a while back and he turned out to be someone I knew (or at least, I knew his father). He runs a well known model shop and as such he will probably have bought it in from somewhere. I will message him and see if he knows anything about the background.

Paul
Hi Paul

I've bought quite a few vintage sets from Rob recently too, he sold a load of Remcon gear from the late owners' estate. He's a good guy to deal with and their Avicraft shop is well worth a visit if you're in the Bromley area. There's plenty of parking and around the corner, it's free (besides lunchtime when restricted). There's even an Avicraft wool shop next door!

Mike
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Hi Paul

I've bought quite a few vintage sets from Rob recently too, he sold a load of Remcon gear from the late owners' estate. He's a good guy to deal with and their Avicraft shop is well worth a visit if you're in the Bromley area. There's plenty of parking and around the corner, it's free (besides lunchtime when restricted). There's even an Avicraft wool shop next door!

Mike
I've now heard back and it seems that the s/c set on offer was owned by one Steve Watkin who has sadly died and Rob is selling off his stuff...... He didn't say if Steve Watkin built it, I don't recognise the name but not everyone on the forum uses their own name. Maybe Phil could check if he supplied a Steve Watkin???

Mike, I was born and bred in Bromley so I know (or knew) Avicraft well. Indeed I almost grew up in the old shop, going in there almost every day on my way home from school so I knew Bunny (Rob's father) very well though I only remember Rob as a very young child. I have been in the "new" shop but not recently.

Paul
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Hi chaps, yes Steve bought a S/C emulation encoder and button harness some years ago.
At the time he was in Orpington. He did indeed build the set and sent a photo back in Feb 2012, just after he'd finished it:

steve_watkin.jpg

I'm surprised to see the set listed as 'never flown' as we had a lengthy email exchange at the time about his S/C Simplex and 48" Tomboy (Mills 1.3 then electric) models though I'd not heard anything from him since then. He was one of the few 'sequential' flyers and also a keen free-flighter. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Heres one of Steves threads on RCM&E:
https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/po ... 03#1146830
He fought our corner when David Ashby wrote:
David Ashby, RCM&E Admin wrote:27/01/2012 06:53:16
Incidentally, I know nostaligia can be overpowering but why are you mucking about with single-channel - fit an elevator, the model will last a whole lot longer you know.
David Ashby - RCME Admin
Steve Watkin wrote:...we do it because its fun, anyone can fly a rudder-elevator Simplex but flying it on an escapement is a challenge....
Cheers
Phil
Stew

Post by Stew »

What is this 'elevator' thing of which you speak? Is this some kind of new devilry contrived by Beelzebub in mockery of the one true way?